Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got gnats?

dbltree

Super Moderator
Never seen anything like it but we have gnats (for lack of a better description) driving us crazy! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I guess it's from the extremely wet spring?

Everyone is complaining about them...a shop in Fairfield even shut down the other night because employees were covered with bites and welts from them.

I don't care for insecticides but I've been spraying Spectracide® Triazicide® and Sevin Brand carbaryl insecticide but I'm not sure it's having any affect.

Lady at Wal-Mart in Ottumwa suggested Listerine sprayed on (Deet isn't working so I'll try anything) if it doesn't work at least I won't have "germs" and smell bad! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Gnat Control

This link suggests vinegar and dish soap in bowls

Natural Gnat Control

anybody have any great ideas...I'm looking forward to first frost right about now! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Lots of people are using Absorbine Jr.

I think I ate about five pounds of the little SOB's last week while I was spraying weeds. One bit me on the lower lip and it looked like I'd lost a boxing match.

I think I read an article in the QC Times last year that claimed they live and breed in moist dead organic matter (last year's leaves and grass). Dry weather will hopefully break the cycle!

We have been using a hand cleaner by AGCO and I am amazed how well it works.Just a dab on your hands and rub it on your face and arms and it keeps the gnats away.Our little gas station in Calamus sells it.

Paul, I just got home from a ball game in your neck of the woods...we were at Cardinal of Eldon tonight. I come home and see this post and had to laugh.

The girls playing softball could hardly play they were swatting so hard at the little pests.

They were passing around bottles of OFF spray in the dug-out like it was a bottle of Boone's Farm wine.

The bleachers had limited space and I saw three ladies that decided to sit down in the grass. I looked at Gabe and said, "Watch this, I bet they aren't sitting there for one minute!"

Yeah, they didn't last long.

That led to a educational conversation with my son about why I called them "Pecker Gnats"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Vanilla always worked awesome and if I didn't have any of that... bounce dryer sheets tucked into my hat always worked well too.

I have tried everything and the only thing that keeps me outside is a mesh hat net that covers my face. They don't seem to bother me anywhere but my face. My wife thinks I'm a dork for wearing it but it works. I even bought a "Black-Flag" fogger and it is a joke! I can fog right into a swarm and they don't budge! I am going to look into some new insecticide to put in it. I am seriously thinking of making some sort of flame-throwing device that can incinerate a swarm in one fiery blast. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Skin So Soft
Dryer Sheets
Vanilla
Absorbin JR.

are some common ones that I've used while camping...but recently found out that HS Strut AUTUM cover scent does the trick too. My mom, trying her best to help me out, bought a couple bottles and I don't believe in them for hunting so I've tried using it as several other things. Didn't have any 'bug-spray' one night while fishing but that HS cover bottle was in the cargo hold of my explorer so I gave it a whirl and had good results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the only thing that keeps me outside is a mesh hat net that covers my face. </div></div>

That's what I ended up doing...used my turkey mesh face cover. My wife laughed too! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I like the dryer sheet idea and some of the other ideas. I'll try just about anything to keep those "pecker gnats" away! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I know Deet products are pretty much a waste of time... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Skin so soft lotion, gnats will not go near you. Rub it on all exposed skin. Also dryer sheets hanging from your hat works well believe it or not. Skin so soft started as an Avon product but it works so well on gnats everyone sells it in the South.

I come from N MIch, and they are a little bigger, and we call them black flies. They are prob different as these flies breed in cold running streams. What ever you call them ,,my wife was so glad to get away from them in MI. I noticed a few last summer but nothing like this. Must have something to do with all the flood waters this season. I stepped out of my truck down in SE Iowa Monday and thot I was back in MI! Now iowa has the nasty little swarms too, along with chiggers,, and ticks,,which N MI. does not have. Good thing the deer hunting is better, or I would wonder why I came to this bug infested State. Sorry,, Iowa does have it's beauty and charm,,it should,,my wife was born here!

a fine cigar will keep them at bay for a while.....
but it makes me feel like i ate a cat crap sammich......

im gonna mount tiki tourches to my boat!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dryer sheets hanging from your hat works well believe it or not </div></div>

I tried that last night and doggone if it didn't work! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Thought my wife was gonna die laughing (I had to race her to the camera... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

I'll try some of the other ideas also...rained last night so I suppose that will encourage a new hatch... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Top Bottom