Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hang and Hunt

Ok I have a question for the hard core "Hang and Hunt" guys.
First,, I am trying to get there, been working my butt off this winter on about 30 trees so as I can just hang my LW Alpha, hunt and take it all with me when I go.
Now I have a few places that just won't work.. A couple of really nice cedars,, are questionable, but the real killers are big oaks.
One area in particular, the best and really only tree to hunt the area is a big burr oak about 4' in diameter.. No way I am getting my straps around it or my LW in it.
Just curious how you guys handle situations like that. Area is too good to "Not" hunt it.. Walking away and looking for another deal are not options. (Got 29 other ones but would give up 10 of the others to hunt this one)

I got an old aluminum extension ladder at a auction for $5.00.
Couple old cans of spray paint and put in the tree,i just leave it there.
It's to good of spot not hunt,if someone wants a ladder,i'll go to another auction.

In cirtain circumstances - I hunt no-more than 6 to 8 ft. off the ground (with a cameraman). Low isn't necessarily bad - but you need cover - and/or a good ambush point. You can also hunt from the ground. Control your wind, and set-up with some ground / low cover and you will be fine.

I'm also big believer in Predator camo - which I personally feel does allow me to get away with murder in many cases! I'm not sponsored by Predator - so this isn't a bias comment!

Really big trees are dangerous to try and get into in my opinion. You can't hang on very well and it's difficult to even get the safety rope around. I'd say for the few really big trees you have I'd use a cheap ladder stand.

What I do is get some Menards climbing sticks and double up the straps for the big oaks. If you double them up and attach them to the 2nd and 4th stick you should be able to climb into the tree just fine. And with a very large diameter tree you don't really have to worry about the sticks shifting around the tree. Or if you really want to you can go out and by some super long ratchet straps too. Either way it looks like a hang, hunt, teardown really isn't in line for a big tree like that.

When the trees get that big, I use 8 foot ratchet straps. They work well with lonewolfs. If it was ground that I wasn't worried about a stand getting stolen, I would probably just add an extension to a portable stand. Big trees are dangerous to tackle in my opinion as well.

Thanks everyone for the comment, always good to have additional input.
Big trees can be tough to climb but once your up there you have the best of all worlds, Up high, plenty of background etc..
I just don't know how to get an 8' strap around a tree once you get higher than you can reach from the ground.
Not worried about stands being misappropriated, I am looking at a set of climbing sticks (Menard's style) I have had forever and not found a use for, and probably an old chain-on home made stand.
Thinking of using some old #9 wire to girdle the sticks to the tree with, but hate to have it look too much like Sanford and Son's front yard, if the farmer drives by.

I use screw-in tree steps and leave them there, but take the stand with me. I use the J-hook system for my lonewolf and just leave the strap in the tree.

If the tree is too big for the strap, Lone Wolf has 3' strap extensions you can buy for under $5. Sounds like one extension would be all you need.

Top Bottom