Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Harvest numbers look down

bukket

I know it's a bit early, but the real-time harvest data on the DNR's site is looking pretty light so far. As of Monday evening about 68k deer have been reported.

Last year the total reported was over 142,000 for all seasons.

On Friday, before the shotgun season started about 35k deer had been reported.

That makes about 33k deer so far for the first season, with a blizzard on the way. The DNR expected a total harvest between the two shotgun seasons of over 80k deer.

Anybody want to take bets to see if there is another "extension" to the shotgun seasons?

I was going to do some still hunting in the snow tomorrow, looking for a doe as I haven't seen anything that breaks 150 yet. Maybe I shouldn't fill my tag in hopes of an extended season?
pray.gif

whistle.gif

I was going to do some still hunting in the snow tomorrow, looking for a doe as I haven't seen anything that breaks 150 yet. Maybe I shouldn't fill my tag in hopes of an extended season?
pray.gif

whistle.gif

the extended season would be for doe only anyway so i would fill it if i had a chance.

I was gonna say I thought it was doe only last time they did it. It won't make much of a difference anyway.. Muzzleloaders will be pulled out.. Then the rifles.. The harvest will be close to last years..

Maybe numbers are down!? Or maybe that November antlerless season does put the deer on alert.

Last edited:
if people are anything like me,
its prolly cause they dont call in the 15 deer they have shot.

140k deer a year isn't hardly anything compared to the harvest numbers from other states. I think the doe seasons are great but the DNR needs to be careful with the quotas.

numbers are way down in the county I'm shotgun hunting. The guys I was trying to convince to let the little bucks grow now have went back to the buck only theory. They want to build up the herd so does are off limits. I think the doe tags killed this county for trophies. They want meat!!

I bet Woodbury county has a huge deer population explosion. There is too much corn still standing. If we get 8-10" of snow those crops may be in until late spring. I didn't even see anyone else until I got near some public land....which sounded like a war zone :grin:

Actually, I now think it's a trend pertaining to how terrible of shots people are now. I can kill anything on the run out to about 250 yardS EVERY TIME with my rifled slugs. I just don't think most people can do this anymore. People need to have respect for the deer and start practicing those running shots more.

People need to have respect for the deer and start practicing those running shots more.

Are you serious about this??????

People need to have respect for the deer and NOT shooting at them when they run.....

C'mon!

Maybe second season will be different but from what I have seen there haven't been as many hunters running around. I have drove around a lot and have only seen a handful of folks out. I was actually really suprised.

Not sure what has been shot around my house but saturday morning I was outside splitting some wood and it was pretty much non-stop shooting in the hills. Drove into town and I think I saw groups of orange making drives near every field. Hopefully there's some left for late muzzy for me!

I think numbers are down for a lot of reasons. It seems like everybody forgets that we have had record amounts of snow the last 2 years, along with a large number of doe tags being filled and probably more tags sold than ever before. We also cant forget the ice storms and the floods all these things add up. If we get a couple of mild winters look for the numbers to be on the rise again.

Guys I'm pretty shure DWILK is being sarcastic, he does that alot.

DWILK, you need to practice jumping out of the fence row and screaming at those running deer while flailing you arms about. They will stop and look at you thus offering a standing shot.

I agree with SWBUCKHUNTR, the last two years have been rough. I saw alot more does with single fawns this year.

I agree with SWBUCKHUNTR, the last two years have been rough. I saw alot more does with single fawns this year.

I agree, it seemed to me that better than half of the does this year were "singles", no fawns. Normally, you hardly ever see a lone doe, this year it seemed very common, for whatever reason.

Dave,
On the contrary I have seen numerous does with twins and triplets. I think there are certain hotspots within the state that need to be thinned out. If not some of the farmers out there with these problems will take care of it for us.

I agree, it seemed to me that better than half of the does this year were "singles", no fawns. Normally, you hardly ever see a lone doe, this year it seemed very common, for whatever reason.

My trailcams are showing me a healthy population, does with twins and triplets. I did see a lot of lone deer during the rut, but I just think momma was out on a date.

I did my part to boost the harvest numbers today! :way:

Top Bottom