Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Heads UP,Another Mild Winter:

loneranger

Since it has been so mild this Nov and now Dec. Watch for ticks,,,STILL! I had one stuck on my back Monday. Got a chigger bite last week too. Will winters ever come back?

I bet there was 200 crawling over my shotgun buck the day after I shot it. Was disgusting.

Liv,

Were u nervous about keeping it? One I killed was also covered in HUNDREDS, they were in his ears under his eyelids even. Unreal.

Liv,

Were u nervous about keeping it? One I killed was also covered in HUNDREDS, they were in his ears under his eyelids even. Unreal.

I wasnt nervous about it. I bet all deer are like that just wasnt expecting to.see that man i guess this late but it hasnt been that cold i guess. I watched a spider in my tree spin a web right in front if me on opening day shotgun. A little white one. I couldnt beleive it.

Providing that global warming is real and this warm weather trend will continue if not intensify in the future, how do you think this will change deer hunting during the first season bow split? If its going to be warmer during the rut from here on out, do you think the rut last longer like it does in southern states? How will that change our tactics?

Last edited:
iabwhntr said:
Providing that global warming is real and this warm weather trend will continue if not intensify in the future, how do you think this will change deer hunting during the first season bow split? If its going to be warmer during the rut from here on out, do you think the rut last longer like it does in southern states? How will that change our tactics?

I think we will be in for years of some giant deer if we continue to have mild winters.

WE may have some cold ones, but I think overall ,warmer is the norm.Rut goes on no matter what. Deer move more at night when it is colder. Morning chill is best time to sit. Not so cold,,less clothes to put on a plus! Warmer climate, on the other hand means more insects,like ticks. More disease, this ,,not so good.They say, deer are smaller down south due to lack of cold, so our deer could actually trend smaller. Would take alot of time though. Who knows? Climate is wacky,,definately changing.

I shot a 2 year old doe yesterday and when I skinned her, she had the most fat I had ever seen on a deer. Fat on the hind quarters as you would expect, and down the loin, and several inches thick all the way down the ribcage. Warm weather and bountiful conditions might trigger them to have more twins and triplets!

Winter!! Snowing up here N-of DesMoines this morning,! but supposed to be near 50' again twards end of week, with thunder possible?

?? The earth has been warming up since the ice age. Then scientist thought there was a new ice age back in the 70's. 40 years later its global warming. You are witnessing a drought year. With drought years, come warm, dry weather. Could last up to 3 years but I will bet you will see a normal trend once again.

Ask all the old farmers that you can find that would have been farming in 52-55. 3 years of no rain, snow, hot mild winters, and extremely hot summers.

I found a tick on me yesterday while I was taking my stand down. I was only outside of my truck for 10 minutes or so. I couldn't believe it.

I pulled two ticks off of me during first shotgun season. Pretty sure I got them while skinning out a deer. Chiggers are the ones I hate the most, southern Iowa seems to be full of them, I got them real bad this summer and was miserable for weeks. I have never run into them in central Iowa, not sure why but only have issues with them down south.

Yep...no more winters. Anyone remember just 2 short winters ago?? Snow 3 feet deep in open fields up here for most of the winter. Just sayin...

NWBuck

I realize history has seen all the extremes of climate, from Ice ages to Deserts. {Can never remember how many s's in that}, but in the 60 short yrs I have been on the earth,,and working about every year outside, traveling from Alaska to Arizona, the stories from older residents, has always been the same. Years have been warming up. By far, that is the trend. Ice mass the size of the US, has melted off the Artic in the past year. whether this is the result of human activity or not makes no difference. Aside from environmental effects, you just have to look at the roadsides to realize,,Humans, trash,,the environment. The ticks I have picked up from the weeds have all been" deer ticks", too, so BEWARE!

Snow conditions here are deep in most parts and a hard pack. Was -28 F last night.

One cannot judge global warning by the regional trend. We've never had a worse Nov. and have had snow on the ground to stay since well before Halloween. Glad I had only a doe tag to fill the last while and didn't enjoy it that much skinning and quartering in 20 below on Friday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom