Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hinge cutting #101

Critter

Life Member
Well.....after a tour and some much needed information from our very own Dbltree last week, I decided to tinker around with the saw and a fenceline to create a visual and hopefully somewhat dense border between myself and my neighbor. The trees I cut were anywhere from 4 inches up to 18 inches or so. A couple of the trees came completely off the stump without staying attached, but the vast majority of them stayed attached and hopefully still alive. Pictures don't really do it justice, but believe me......it's gonna be thick if these trees bud out, and the under-story takes off with the additional sunlight.
Before
DSC00952.jpg
[/IMG]
After
DSC00971.jpg
[/IMG]
Hinges
DSC00957-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Whooweee! Your wicked with a chainsaw! :D

Nice work Critter...in another year that will really change that whole fence row! ;)

Poor trees. They look sad :( Seriously though, what's your idea behind this?
Actually it does a few things. First and foremost it creates cover, be it bedding, escape, or just security. Secondly it keeps anyone from seeing or shooting through the fence-line. ( not that I've had a problem ) Thirdly, it creates a natural way for me to funnel deer on and off of my property in specific areas.

Actually it does a few things. First and foremost it creates cover, be it bedding, escape, or just security. Secondly it keeps anyone from seeing or shooting through the fence-line. ( not that I've had a problem ) Thirdly, it creates a natural way for me to funnel deer on and off of my property in specific areas.

For those that haven't discovered the merits of hinge cutting and edge feathering, you may want to read thru our thread on the subject.

Edge Feathering and Bedding Areas

Critter really does have a "method to his madness"...;)

Headin up to my parent's place this weekend. Gonna see if I can talk my dad into some of this along our field edges.

Are you cutting at a certain angle when you hinge and how far through the tree?

I tried cutting most of them at a 30 degree angle or so to prevent them from tipping over the fence.:D I cut about half way through and then slowed the cut until I saw the cut gap start to grow. Once it started to tip a little I would stop, and then help it over by hand if I had to. Harder to do with the larger trees, but fairly easy to do with the smaller ones. In hindsight I would of had a wedge and maul with me to force some of the trees over a certain direction. You just have to be careful you don't hammer the wedge into the saw chain.:eek:

It creates great bedding cover. I've been doing a little bit over the last week and have scared up two turkeys that were less than ten foot away from me bedded down in some hinge cuts that I did in prior years. Good stuff Critter!

Whooweee! Your wicked with a chainsaw! :D

Nice work Critter...in another year that will really change that whole fence row! ;)

Looks great! Imagine the game bird potential that fence row will have in a year or two! Thumbs up!

Poor trees. They look sad :( Seriously though, what's your idea behind this?

More sunlight on the ground also generates more browse along with the browse from the stump sprouts that come back. I have had a pile of black raspberries come up on areas that I did some hinge cutting work on.

Top Bottom