Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HOLOGRAPHIC WEAPON SIGHT

OS Hunter

Does anyone use or have a Holographic sight for their shotgun? I'm thinking about trying one on my slug gun and was wondering how people like them. It reminds me of my bow sights when I look through it. Any thoughts or comments?

I use a Bushnell Holosight atop a Knight muzzleloader. It works awesome for spot and stalk type hunting or drive style hunting due to the exceptionally quick target aquisition.

I have used them on guns and bows and have liked them on both. The gun was used for shotgun drives and target acquisition was second to none. For stand hunting I used muzzleloaders with scopes. The only thing I didn't like was relying on batteries and adjusting the brightness when in the open versus dark timber when on drives. On the bow I liked it better yet. If it could self adjust for yardage I would still use one today I got tired of having to adjust the sight for yardage as a deer came in. And on the bow it was a bit heavy.

I haven't tried the Holosight... but, I've used the BSA 42mm red dot scope for about 6 or 7 years on my slug gun now and it still works amazing.. shot a lot of deer, including my biggest, a 185-190" gross at 75 yds dead run... and I really like being able to pull up and immediately find my prey in the scope.. the thing I dont like about it though is a couple times I have forgotten to turn the scope on and it has made me miss a couple good opportunities on nice deer, but, you will have that with any electronics. Besides... the red dot only cost me $50, the Holosight i think is like $400.

One thing to look for is a scope that is able to give a very dim image for low light conditions. I have a scope with adjustable brightness of the dot and even at the lowest setting it is too bright when hunting very low light.

Bought the bushnell holo-sight for my dad about 5 years ago. It was $225. He put it on his winchester 1200. He had to use the B-Square scope mount kit. Attached the dang thing and his first shot was dead on bullseye at 100yds.

The only problem he's had was with extreme cold, and keeping the batteries warm enough to operate. He fashioned a hand-warmer and rubberband setup to fix that problem. I've shot it a few times and it was a ton easier for me in the target aquisition category than a standard scope. Pretty amazing field of view with the holoscope types.

I used to use one still have it in the gun cabinet. I switched to a scope last year. I agree with the others. Really have to watch the batteries in cold weather. Nothing worse than pulling up to a blank window. I would suggest a shoot thru scope mount so you can still use your sights just in case. Might consider selling mine it's an older version probably 8 years. Still works good though. Send me a pm if interested it'll be allot cheaper than a new one.

Top Bottom