Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How long are broadheads good for?

staywarmguy

I've always wondered how long I should keep my broadheads. Do they get dull from not being used for a period of time? I've heard they may rust but not sure if that's true... Anyone have any advice?

There are lots of variables to this question, so it is hard to give a definitive answer. But broadheads will dull over time just being carried in a quiver. Now...do they dull enough that you should be really worried about it? I don't think so, but I will touch up my "active" broadheads once per season or so with a very light back stroke on a leather strop.

Otherwise, if you keep them from rusting and so forth, I think you should be good year to year on them. For me though, once they are shot even one time, I either sharpen them or replace them. So when hunting, I am always using "new", razor sharp heads. (I usually keep one arrow in my quiver that has a dull broad head on it, but I will never use that one on a deer.)

I can't tell you the number of times I have watched someone shoot their hunting broadheads and then pop them back into the quiver and the next shot with them may well be a deer. While I don't have scientific numbers to support me, my observations are that those hunters are FAR MORE likely to have excruciatingly long track jobs and/or lost animals, etc.

There are few things that archers can do to ensure quick, humane kills moreso than keeping razor sharp broadheads IMO.

I check my heads throughout the season and resharpen as needed. I sharpen my heads by hand, because I don't think they come sharp enough...

I'll second Daver on this! Keep them sharp and you should be good! I never shoot the same broadhead twice unles the blades have been swapped out. With all the money we spend on deer hunting, keeping fresh broadheads on my arrows seems to be an easy decision.

I use G5 Montecs and they are good fo-ev-a! Until I lose them anyway ;) They aren't 'bust your balls' expensive and they are easy to re-sharpen. I've shot 3 mature bucks with them and neither made it farther than 30 yards. Otherwise, I always replaced my blades as soon as I shot something with them on other heads.

I've always wondered how long I should keep my broadheads. Do they get dull from not being used for a period of time? I've heard they may rust but not sure if that's true... Anyone have any advice?

I would say they never get dull just sitting around as long as you store them well. If they are rolling around in a tackle box contacting each other and other items, then they may lose a little of the edge. I just wrap them in a piece of paper towel to prevent metal to metal contact.

As far as rust, should be minimal with good stainless blades.
Although I've never tried them, I have heard of rusting problems on the carbon steel Montecs. Can anyone elaborate on this? But personally I've never had any issues with anything I've used.
Once I shoot at anything other than a target, new blades if not a whole new broadhead.

I would say they never get dull just sitting around as long as you store them well. If they are rolling around in a tackle box contacting each other and other items, then they may lose a little of the edge. I just wrap them in a piece of paper towel to prevent metal to metal contact.

As far as rust, should be minimal with good stainless blades.
Although I've never tried them, I have heard of rusting problems on the carbon steel Montecs. Can anyone elaborate on this? But personally I've never had any issues with anything I've used.
Once I shoot at anything other than a target, new blades if not a whole new broadhead.

I think ive also heard of the rust on those. And I hear they are harder to sharpen. I only buy the stainless ones.

I can't personally comment on the carbon steel Montecs, but I own several Carbon steel knives. You have to keep them lightly oiled, or they will rust. I never store these knives in a sheath either. They need to be stored in the open, or covered with an oily rage or towel, or kept in something that will not absorb and hold moisture. If I was going to have to store carbon steel in a moist area, or just want to be picky about it, I would put the object in a sealable plastic box, liberally oil the steel (keeping oil off anything wooden, knife handle), and put some dicasent (sp) beads in there and seal it.

Personally the advantage of carbon steel is that it holds a really good edge, is easier to sharpen than some of the better stainless, I can start a fire with it if I ever needed too.

I shoot the Carbon Steel montecs. They can and will rust if the get wet, but i always make sure I dry them off if they do, the only oil I use on them is the oil i put on the stone when sharpening them. As for dulling or rusting while they are being stored, I don't think that is a problem.

Top Bottom