Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HR 43 and 44

I hunt a property that is a major bachelor pad hangout for bucks during late summer, then they disappear mid-September, only to occasionally drift through during the rut. So this season would be just what I need to hunt them, but I don't like it.

Sounds like so far we are all in agreement that we need to stop both of these bills from being law. Your IBA board is already hard at work on this task. If you are not a member of the IBA but are worried about crazy laws getting passed, now is the time to join the IBA!

I have the same issue mplane. I have only a few edges and tye rest I hunt public. I run cameras starting in early spring and get a crazy amount of big bucks on camera during the summer. On those property's I did not see 1 of the many mature deer I had on camera. So I feel it would benefit my chances of a mature deer. I also would love to shoot a velvet buck. However I am not in favor of crossbows.

House File 9999 - Introduced By Sligh1
A Bill for Early and Late gun seasons, crossbow seasons, etc.
Section 9. Section 13203B.2, CODE 2015 is amended by adding the new subsection
1: No license required for any individual who wishes to shoot any deer from the timeframe of June 1st of each year to end March 30 of the following year. There will be no limit.
2:Use of crossbows Jan 1st to Dec 31 of the same year. No license and limit requirements.
3: State funding bulldozing cost share for citizens who wish to doze out more trees and cover. This will allow the deer less places to hide, thus giving more success to hunters.
4: Allowance of trip wire explosive devices on public and private lands for any individual who has trouble finding time to hunt. Trip wire traps & explosives used to kill deer must be checked once a week and a 48 deer bag limit will be in place here.
5: A new "TRUCK & HEADLIGHTS" season for any hunter wishing to use a truck, any light source and high powered rifle to hunt. Hunters have no bag limit & are not required to actually take the harvest with them if they choose not to. Power windows are required for safety reasons with no hand crank windows permitted. $2.50 DOT Road surcharge for this permit will apply.

This Bill is introduced so more people can enjoy the outdoors, those who have limits because of weather, schedules & allow more people to get involved in hunting.

In full transparency, my political donation fund has been grown & now has new top donors due to 6 Crossbow Manufacturer companies, gun manufacturers, GM & Ford Motor company and Farm Bureau Insurance but I assure you, none of this came into account with the Bill I am proposing.

This other JERK Politician will have a competing bill that's garbage... Please don't support it....
House File 9991 - Introduced By Representative Comin Cense
A Bill relating to deer season in Iowa.
1: No regulation changes will be made. No adding of seasons. No more Liberal regulation changes. No more monkey wrenches in the system. Any politicians and citizens (including the Governor) not in support of this bill shall be required to hunt only a specified 300-500 acre parcel of public hunting land in Northern Iowa.

Are you guys not sick of this? Guys, come on. Get your butts in gear, write in, JOIN THE IBA, they will defend a lot of insanity in general for you, etc. The Political Pimps are out of control.

What's funny is all of you are saying join the IBA and I would be pressed to assume not even a third of hunters in Iowa visit this site. Like I said in many threads it's a matter of time before we are going to be tagging velvet bucks like we do in other states. And crossbows will be legal for everyone during the normal allowed archery season. Money talks and money is what's needed to fund other projects.

What's funny is all of you are saying join the IBA and I would be pressed to assume not even a third of hunters in Iowa visit this site. Like I said in many threads it's a matter of time before we are going to be tagging velvet bucks like we do in other states. And crossbows will be legal for everyone during the normal allowed archery season. Money talks and money is what's needed to fund other projects.

What's your agenda? You just really want to use a crossbow during archery season? Are you affiliated with the crossbow industry in anyway? I'm honestly just trying to understand here? I'm being sincere and happily explain my agenda if any explanation needed.

the people that wrote this bill don't give a rats ass about the youth and providing them with hunting opportunities. Its all a personal agenda to line their own pockets in one form or another. I'm confident both these bills will be tossed.

Perhaps, none of us can be sure what will happen in the future. But I will say this...over the past 10 years or so there have been other "inevitable" predictions made right here on this site regarding other deer related laws and regulations and I can think of one huge one that has yet to come to pass. So I wouldn't be so sure.

Iowabuckslayer2013, I don't know if I'm more ashamed or more embarrassed of you comments. Open your eyes to what's going on in the real world (we as bowhunters are losing). It sounds to me like you are one of them guys that says I shot it because if I didn't the neighbor would. Wake up! I have no idea who you are but I'm pretty sure if I asked someone who does know you leader would not be in the title if one of your friends was referring to you. The IBA (with the support of those who can make educated decisions about there future) have been defending your right as a bowhunters for a long time. It irritates the sh-t outta me to see someone that appears to be so passionate about bow hunting on a forum be so damn oblivious to what is actually going on around them.

One response to my email so far.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to email me, and I understand your concern. I can see how it would affect population for other hunters. It will be interesting to see what happens to these bills as the session goes on.

Norlin Mommsen
STATE REPRESENTATIVE
Ninety-Seventh District
Statehouse: (515) 281-3221
e-mail – norlin.mommsen@legis.iowa.gov

I think the crossbow discussion is very clear now and the timing.....
Like I've heard from others and facts.... Started by "well, only for muzzleloader season" then, the very following year "well, only adding kids now". Which can already use bow, muzzleloader and shotgun. I think we all now know this is crossbow lobby pushing in one step at a time to advance their agenda. U wanna bet whether it'll be proposed next yr or soon after "well, let's add to general archery season too now". U don't think this is a step by step process backed by crossbow companies and lobbyists, ur nuts.

And adding another bow season?!?? I guess because I'm against that - I must be against bow hunters - right? Or don't like bow & arrows? How about we stop this madness. We need a strong message sent to our reps, etc to stop messing with our delicate resource that hasn't even recovered from last round of madness. Stop! Join the IBA and write in!!!!

We need a strong message sent to our reps, etc to stop messing with our delicate resource that hasn't even recovered from last round of madness. Stop! Join the IBA and write in!!!!

EXACTLY! It's a natural resource that needs managed for the long run not the quick burn big one time pay off!

I completely agree with the sentiment that we need to rise up and stop the madness of "creeping regs" every year. In fact, I say we work to specifically identify the sponsors of these movements and then make that info public.

For me, any manufacturer of crossbow equipment that is pressing to change our regulations just so they have an expanded market to sell into AND they ALSO make regular archery equipment...BOOM, that's the last time I will ever spend a penny on ANY of their equipment...including "sister" companies and subsidiaries.

Let's take this fight right to the heart of the matter...the livelihood of the companies that are hoping to profit from additional equipment sales.

Are there any makers of regular archery equipment that have pledged not to lobby states to change their regs? Because I would favor them with my future purchases too.

The overriding theme in my message to the NRC was exactly what all 3 of you just mentioned. Quit messing so drastically with what has been working.

As two the two specific bills. I would not like but could probably live with a limited early archery season IF IF IF it did not allow unfilled tags to be carried over to the general season. It is pure BS to give a limited amount of residents what is basically a head start on everyone else. Not to mention over exposing mature bucks.

As to CBs. I find it difficult to argue against them without coming across as a snobby bowhunter. I'm not going to argue with anyone about weather or not they're real archery weapons. My whole concern is extra pressure on the herd and access to it. Archery seasons have been structured the way they are because participation levels and success rates are statistically low. A marked increase in either, which I believe we will see, could force reduced tags and seasons. On that note, I was on AT the other day reading about some of the possible regulation changes being proposed there. First, thank god we are not as screwy as they are. Second, there were reports that board was hearing complaints about the increased buck harvest during the archery season, from gun hunters, and were being asked to reduce the general archery season dates. The increase in harvest was being indirectly connected to the increased participation during archery season.

I agree about wanting to learn more about where these kind of proposals are coming from. Anyone know how? Also, does anyone know if the DNR has scheduled their state wide comment meetings? I look forward to asking them their position on these bills, if they pass or not.

Last edited:

Thank you for providing these email addresses. I just sent every one of them this email.

RE: HR 43

Dear members of the Iowa Legislature,

You are receiving this email because you all have been identified as members of the Iowa NR Council. I have been a resident for Iowa about one year My choice to move to Iowa was driven by my passion for all things whitetail. As far as whitetail deer go, Iowa has long been the envy of most of the country. Moving 10 hours from Michigan was a tough decision. I left family, property, and the security of a good job to follow a dream. In addition to people asking me why I would make such a “crazy” move, the most common question I get asked is why is Iowa so much better for whitetails than anywhere else? I explain to people that a lot of places have good nutrition and genetics, but they are not Iowa. The most important thing that separates Iowa from everybody else is how they have managed the deer heard over the years. I tell people that if you could make the laws and regulations to produce a world class deer heard that is pretty much what Iowa has done. Limit NR licenses….check. Don’t have an open firearm season during the rut….check. Do not allow the use of rifles….check. Do not allow crossbow’s during archery season….check. All these things have made for a deer herd that is the best in the world. I have hunted throughout the Midwest and beyond . I wanted to move to the best place in the country. I decided on Iowa.

As much as I love bow hunting, I think adding days and starting the archery season at the end of August is a terrible idea. Deer are highly patternable in September and I believe this regulation will have an adverse effect on the age structure that has been developed from sound management. Additionally, I believe early pressure will have a negative effect on traditional archery season. This may result in an overall decline is hunting satisfaction and may actually work to reduce participation in the future. I hope the Iowa legislature bases their decisions on sound management practices and not the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

I am respectfully asking that you reject this bill and continue to lead Iowa as the best state in the nation for whitetails.

I had a little time as work is winding down this evening so I goggled Iowa Crossbow hunting lobbyist.

Came across this outfit called the "Advocacy Cooperative". It would appear they have lobbied in support of both of these bills for their client. In fact they've lobbied in support of every bill in front of the NRC. Maybe those that want to will soon be able to bowfish for catfish. Anyway, you can search their client base and what bills they support. Turns out their client in this case is the Iowa Association of County Conservation Boards. I'm guessing they blindly support any "expanded opportunity." On the positive side they are also supporting a bill strengthening the ability of the DNR to quarantine infect high fence areas.

http://www.ialobby.com/billtracker/...&SortBy=billNumber+asc&clientID=18&NoHeader=0

I personally have a 7 year old son that has sensitive hearing and hates gun shots that would love to shoot a deer youth season with a crossbow this would give him that oppurtunity & he would be tickled to death.Also I personally would love to harvest a velvet buck.As far as we already have enough time to shoot a deer is opinionated as I work from 7:30am to 6:00 pm m-f & some saturdays of course there are people out there that have alot of time to hunt but that is not the case for everyone.As far as crossbows go I don't think there as superior to compound bows as some may think.I personally can shoot my compound more accurately than some I have seen with crossbows.Everyone has there own opinion but not everyone falls in the same circumstances.I would love to see my son shoot a deer with a crossbow It would make both mine & his day!!!

Top Bottom