Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting Accident Appanoose County

blake

Life Member
Hunter wounded Sunday near Rathbun Lake in Appanoose County

A Waterloo man was airlifted to a Des Moines hospital Sunday after sustaining a gunshot wound while deer hunting in Appanoose County.

Thomas S. Burns, 38, was hunting in a group of 21 hunters when one of the other hunters in his party shot at a running deer hitting Burns in his midsection with a 12-gauge shotgun slug at approximately 10 a.m. Sunday. He was airlifted to Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines where he was in stable condition Sunday evening.

The group was hunting at the Prairie Ridge area on Rathbun Lake, about six miles southwest of Moravia.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources was assisted at the scene by the Appanoose County Sheriff’s Department and the Iowa State Patrol.

was hunting in a group of 21 hunters when one of the other hunters in his party shot at a running deer

That's horrible BUT is anyone surprised? Too bad but man, just one more reason I won't deer drive, won't allow it on my place, etc.

I'm not surprised at all. Its a wonder it doesn't happen more. I know of two houses that slugs have passed through.

I think its intersting that every year you make it through waterfowl seasons, upland, small game and its rare to have accidents, but come shotgun season you have 4 in the first weekend every year.. definetly says something about the style of hunting that is employed

Just another statistic for the anti-hunters out there. I bet PETA was thrilled that a blood thirsty, murderous hunter got shot and not sweet little bambi. :rolleyes:

21 hunters in one group, wow, dangerous, impossible to coordinate.

My thoughts exactly, I no longer shotgun hunt because we had fewer than 10 guys and some of them either didn't want to listen or were too stupid to follow directions. In a group that size there's bound to be some confusion.

No wonder I hear a 30 shot barrage sometimes across the line when I am sitting in my bow stand in MO....then there will be 20 more shots a minute later.

Bound to be some accidents happening with that many hunters/shots in one place. Sure hope and pray that Thomas is going to heal well.

I think something happened tonight at the coralville reservoir. There were sherriffs all over and a bunch of hunters.

Top Bottom