Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hunting land

killer buck

I'm going down to southern iowa to look at some land to buy for hunting. This is my first time going to take a look at land. I was just wondering what do you guys usually look for when you are going to buy some land?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you guys usually look for when you are going to buy some land? </div></div>

That depends if "price is not of the essence"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Back when I bought my farm, I wanted both hunting and land that would produce an income either from CRP or rental.

Open land offers oppurtunity for both income and crops/foodplots that attract deer and provide diverse wildlife habitat.

Others would prefer solid timber which is awesome but will command top price.

Other things to consider...

Is it possible you might live there in the future?

Might you want a cabin or house there?

Would you want a storage building for tractor or ATV's?

Some ground is on dirt roads with no electricity or water and putting it in can be expensive.

You'll be responsible for your half of any fences, so if they are in bad shape just keep that in the back of your mind (and budget)

Have fun! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I would also add when buying ground that you do some serious research on your neighbors. Unless you are buying a huge chunk your neighbors may make the difference in your hunting experience. Stop on by the neighbors and just ask them. I do it all the time in my line of business and most of the time you get way more information about the ground your buying and theirs then you knew before.

Also stop at the county courthouse and do some research on that property as well as what other similar ones are selling for. It's a buyers market out there so you can be choosy.

Good Luck!

Well said Tall Tines.I bought my first farm in 2005 and was fortunate to buy the other 58 acres from the "neighbor" that caused me alot of misery and still has his moments. If I hadnt got it, I would be in trouble!!!!! My other neighbors are great but then again, how do you know a good guy won't sell to someone who isn't or lets someone hunt that isn't ethical. In saying that, find protection on as many sides as you can and look at the worst case scenario. You can't go wrong that way. How much are trying to buy?

There's a real good 60 acre piece by me for sale, bet it brings 800 ore less .Its in Ringgold county.Timber and some crop ground.

well Im trying to find a piece of land, thats 30 acres to 100 acres or so. I would like to get some income out of it to. the land I looked at today sounded like the neighbors wouldn't let me near there land so I dont know. So I'm trying to keep myeyes open

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windwalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a real good 60 acre piece by me for sale, bet it brings 800 ore less .Its in Ringgold county.Timber and some crop ground. </div></div>

That sounds great. Do you have any more information about that piece of land?

There's a guy on here with 146 acres for sale in the classified section- it's the best farm anyone could buy and priced below market value to sell faster, if you walked this piece of land- you'd be amazed. It also has pretty much zero neighbors and giant deer. Man, the guy who is selling it must be crazy to part with it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
*ok, the guy selling it is me!!

Top Bottom