Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IA DNR Forestry programs

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Anyone have any experience working with the IA Forestry program packets? We have a lot of cattle pasture we are looking to put back into its native ways, hardwoods; evergreens; shrubs. Really just looking to improve the cover and add some natural browse and food for the wildlife, mostly deer. Just curious if anyone on here has ordered these packets, the price seems real reasonable. Here is a link to the packets http://www.iowadnr.gov/forestry/orderform.html

We haven't had much luck planting trees; the deer destroy most everything. Our Cedars are the only trees that have survived. Our last planting was 90% cedars and it looks great. You would be surprised how fast they can take out 2000 spruce trees. But we have a lot of deer in southern Iowa.

If you want deer cover you can grow a native grass stand in a lot less time. I have a couple places to fill in with cedars but I doubt I'll ever plant another tree.

Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PYBucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We haven't had much luck planting trees; the deer destroy most everything. Our Cedars are the only trees that have survived. Our last planting was 90% cedars and it looks great. You would be surprised how fast they can take out 2000 spruce trees. But we have a lot of deer in southern Iowa.

If you want deer cover you can grow a native grass stand in a lot less time. I have a couple places to fill in with cedars but I doubt I'll ever plant another tree.

Tim
</div></div>

any chance caging off the trees would help deter them killing so many of the trees, obviously some trees aren't going to make it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PYBucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We haven't had much luck planting trees; the deer destroy most everything. Our Cedars are the only trees that have survived. Our last planting was 90% cedars and it looks great. You would be surprised how fast they can take out 2000 spruce trees. But we have a lot of deer in southern Iowa.

Tim
</div></div>

any chance caging off the trees would help deter them killing so many of the trees, obviously some trees aren't going to make it. </div></div>

I had an experience similar to PYBucks. I planted about 1,200 trees/shrubs from the Forestry three straight years, only to have them browsed/snapped off/rubbed to nothing. I did get some high bush cranberry, nine bark and lilac to survive the constant pressure, but the hardwoods were essentially a bust. It takes a LOT of time to cage 500-1,000 trees. If I was to attempt planting hardwoods again, I'd budget for grow tubes. Of course grow tubes don't work on conifers.

Pines were candy to the deer, almost a complete loss. I have some spruce that are struggling and it is rub damage that is messing them up. Cedars seem to be the ticket. Yes, the deer rub them up, but it they appear to grow a little faster than the spruce I planted and it takes a really nasty winter before the deer start browsing on the Cedars.

My habitat plan switched to a deer management plan. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Previous comments pretty much summed up tree planting...it's a tough row to hoe to do it successfully.

Two key elements IMO...herbicide for grass/weed control and fencing for ALL hardwoods and conifers other then red cedars.

Try fencing 2000 spruces....not saying it can't be done but it entails a lot of work and expense if you can't come up with enough old rolls of woven wire to do the trick.

Like everyone else...I got tired of "fighting" it and switched over to red cedars and plant just a handful of hardoods, fruit trees etc. each year that I can handle fencing for.

I've had bucks rip the gro tubes off trees and then mangle the trees...so nothing is a sure bet with out fencing.

Without herbicide the trees will grow slowly or have a high mortality rate, although mowing will get you by.

The packets themselves are just tree/shrub combos but you can order specifically what you want. There are many other places to order seedlings and I have had some problems in years past with the State Nursery stock...one year ALL the pine seedlings died that everyone purchased. Apparantly (at least at that time) they used prison labor to help and at lunch time they just dropped everything...and left thousands of bareroot seedlings in the sun to die (that's what I was told anyway..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif )

Planting trees is something I have been doing for 40+ years and my Dad and Grandfather did it before me. It's a great feeling years later to see those trees maturing someplace that was once an open field. Just plant the right trees in the right way for your area being aware of all the problems that can arise.
Read thru our Tree Planting thread for lots of advice and helpful information.

Thanks, we've got about 200 acres we'd like to convert to something more useful for wildlife. Probably not going to get but 5% of that changed this year but keeping at it hopefully it will turn into a nice stand of timber and warm season grasses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably not going to get but 5% of that changed this year but keeping at it hopefully it will turn into a nice stand of timber and warm season grasses. </div></div>

That's the right atitude! Better to do a small amount right each year...just keep working at it and slowly but surely you'll begin to make a difference.

Fencing a 100 trees is possible...fencing 2000...wellll..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Goodluck! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably not going to get but 5% of that changed this year but keeping at it hopefully it will turn into a nice stand of timber and warm season grasses. </div></div>

That's the right atitude! Better to do a small amount right each year...just keep working at it and slowly but surely you'll begin to make a difference.

Fencing a 100 trees is possible...fencing 2000...wellll..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Goodluck! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

We've been reading the tons of information on Switchgrass here on IAwhitetail. Been wanting to also plant some WSG like idian or switch. Checked out a small switchgrass patch this afternoon after another nice snow dusting this night, went up to it and had deer walking out of it, go figure! Here are some pictures, we're really leaning to plant some of this, kinda late to kill off the brome grass but hopefully we can get it burned early and sprayed a time or two to really kill it then broadcast seed some parts. Here are some pics of how this stuff stands strong and makes great cover in the snow!

104_0851.jpg

104_0852.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably not going to get but 5% of that changed this year but keeping at it hopefully it will turn into a nice stand of timber and warm season grasses. </div></div>

Goodluck! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

We've been reading the tons of information on Switchgrass here on IAwhitetail. Been wanting to also plant some WSG like idian or switch. Checked out a small switchgrass patch this afternoon after another nice snow dusting this night, went up to it and had deer walking out of it, go figure! Here are some pictures, we're really leaning to plant some of this, kinda late to kill off the brome grass but hopefully we can get it burned early and sprayed a time or two to really kill it then broadcast seed some parts. Here are some pics of how this stuff stands strong and makes great cover in the snow!

104_0851.jpg

104_0852.jpg
</div></div>

Great pictures and examples of winter switchgrass cover /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

You won't care for Indiangrass for winter cover though...great nesting cover because it is a little clumpier but it goes down real easy with even a little snow.

Indiangrass and Big Bluestem don't "pop" back up like switchgrass after the snow and ice melt off.

Good to know, we thought about planting some indian and bluestem anyway just for its nesting purposes I guess. Meeting with the area forester and private lands biologist over break to get a managment plan worked up and start moving forward with this project!

I've been planting trees since 1990. Since I'm working in deer habitat deer are almost always a problem. I've tried doing nothing, using tubes, individual cages, fenced nursery areas etc. The most effective technique seems to be to shoot a lot of does until your trees are big enough.

If I had a large open area I'd consider a combination of food plots, native grasses and woody cover in a combination with lots of edge.

For the woody cover take a look at direct seeding. Do a google search on the topic. The basic concept is to plant thousands of tree seeds with the hope that the deer don't get them all. Our IDNR district biologist said that where deer are a problem they only apply pre-emergent grass herbicide allowing some weed growth. The weeds compete some with the seedlings but help hide the seedlings from the deer.

Here are a few places to get started...

http://www.directseeding.org

http://www.il.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/forestry/dshndbk.html

Good luck!

Old Buck,
This is exactly the route they told me to take, my neighbors ask me if I am growing weeds in the rows, I have had very few pinched off by deer and the weeds are doing good so far at hidding my little trees.

High deer density areas let weeds grow and it also helps with knowing where your tree rows are, make sure you mow in between the rows will help also, I do this about once a year just mainly to keep rabbits from nesting in between rows.

Have you looked into direct seeding of trees? We planted 25 acres 4 years ago and it is awesome. Ive got 6ft red oaks 10ft cherrys 10ft ash 8-10 ft walnut its all I hoped for. Initially its more expensive but in the long run you save money. We also planted native grasses the same year as the trees and very happy with that also. Didnt plant any switch had a 1/2" of ice on top of the snow first of dec and its standing great. If you plant native grasses dont forget the forbs they are not just for looks they provide allot of feed value for everything from butterflys to deer.

Top Bottom