Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ia. vs. Other States - NR Landowners

ElkHunter

Life Member
Thought this might shed a little light on what other states do for their nonresident landowners <span style="color: #FF0000">compared to a nonresident </span>

34 states they are given no special consideration

<span style="color: #FF0000"> 7 other states have requirements to recieve preferential treatment.

Delaware - no lo must reside on working farm
Indiana - Reciprocal with your state
Minnesota - free antlerless tag. Must own 80 acres
Nebraska - must own 320 acres tags costs $89.50
N. Dakota - own 160 ac. tag $200
Pennsylvania - <span style="color: #FF0000">nr lo receives free antlerless tag IF land open to public </span>
Vermont - <span style="color: #FF0000"> nr lo free tag if land isn't posted(open to public hunting</span>
Wyoming - must own 160ac. to get in preference pool <span style="color: #FF0000">Any lands primarily purchased for the purpose of obtaining landowner licenses shall not be eligible </span>

<span style="color: #000000"> Just thought people should know what other state do.
Looks like Iowa falls in with the majority of states. I think a few states have figured how to get more public hunting areas.</span> </span>

In Pennsylvania a NR can buy a hunting license over the counter each and every year in addition to the free doe tag. If he does not open the land to the public he/she can still purchase a tag over the counter annually for $101.00.

Here is the highly restrictive rules for NR hunters in PA???:

Nonresidents:

Follow directions given for resident applicants with these exceptions: (1) need to include certified check or money order in U.S. Dollars for mail orders if not paying with VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card.

You forgot Missouri:

A Non-resident that owns 75 continuous acres is eligible for a discounted license of $75.00 for Any Deer and $50 for Turkey.

That's correct regarding Missouri regs, but again, over the counter each and every year.

You're correct on both counts. I'm sure I missed others but my point was Iowa isn't out of line with their current regulations

Elk, Absolutely a misleading post.

Again, Nebraska, which is on your list,if you own under 320 acres, or no land, a NR tag is $209 over the counter.

Ohio, which is not on your list, but cited as one of the 34 states with no preferrential treatment, is over the counter anytime a NR chooses to hunt there regardless of whether one owns land or not, for $125.

New York, not on list, $110 over the counter.
Michigan, not on list, $138 over the counter.
Texas, not on list, $300 over the counter.
Etc., Etc., Etc.,

I don't see the logic in comparing Iowa, a NR draw state whether you own land or not for $400+, to states who welcome NR's,and then say Iowa is consistent with the bulk of the country.

You should be a politician elk hunter. You take information and make it say what you want it to say.
The majority if not all of these states allow you to buy an over the counter tag yearly. The only advantage to being a landowner in some if these states is the tags may be cheaper. Anyone from any state can come to Indiana and buy a tag at NR prices. If you are a landowner and your state recognises landowners from Indiana and gives them preferential treatment then you would get the same in Indiana.
Go shake a few more hands and kiss some more babies. You've got 3.5 years before the next election.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DG1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Go shake a few more hands and kiss some more babies. You've got 3.5 years before the next election.</div></div>

Way to keep it civil

In Wisconsin, a NR can buy a over the counter tag for around $160-170 bucks. I believe that they can buy antlerless tags also. Like the majority stated here, iowa is nothing like these other states. $425 and a bow tag every three years is not over the counter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DG1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should be a politician elk hunter. You take information and make it say what you want it to say.
The majority if not all of these states allow you to buy an over the counter tag yearly. The only advantage to being a landowner in some if these states is the tags may be cheaper. Anyone from any state can come to Indiana and buy a tag at NR prices. If you are a landowner and your state recognises landowners from Indiana and gives them preferential treatment then you would get the same in Indiana.
Go shake a few more hands and kiss some more babies. You've got 3.5 years before the next election. </div></div>

You and Back 40 are out of line and clearly would like to spread this your own way. The information available clearly makes a valid point on the majority of States position in regards to NR landowner privileges. Currently the Iowa NR landowner does not have to pay the NR small game licensing. That is over $80 I believe and they receive preference points for the allowed antlerless tags. More generous than some state. Lets be clear, Iowa has managed to not loose much of what several of the states you have mentioned have already lost. We are residence of this fine state and we should be much more active than we have been fighting to protect what outside interest like "Friends of Iowa" would destroy. Could some middle ground be found? I would like to think so but not at the cost of running over what has made this a great whitetail deer hunting destination. Suicide by folly! I for one am not interested in being the Proverbial fool. Will it come down to MONEY can buy anyone? Time will tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Back40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elk, Absolutely a misleading post.

Again, Nebraska, which is on your list,if you own under 320 acres, or no land, a NR tag is $209 over the counter.

Ohio, which is not on your list, but cited as one of the 34 states with no preferrential treatment, is over the counter anytime a NR chooses to hunt there regardless of whether one owns land or not, for $125.

New York, not on list, $110 over the counter.
Michigan, not on list, $138 over the counter.
Texas, not on list, $300 over the counter.
Etc., Etc., Etc.,

I don't see the logic in comparing Iowa, a NR draw state whether you own land or not for $400+, to states who welcome NR's,and then say Iowa is consistent with the bulk of the country.
</div></div>
This reply has nothing to do with the original post. The fact that Iowa has a limited draw and higher NR licensing fee has zero to do with NR landowner privileges. Separate issues.

In your home state do you believe I should have more influence in the legislative process, as a Iowan, or you as a resident of you great state of PA.

In Michigan, It is over-the-counter, come one come all. Thing is though,,,the deer hunting is so poor over most of the state , that few non-residents bother... At least that is the way it was when I left.

the main reason iowa is different that these other states..... PEOPLE WANT TO COME TO IOWA TO HUNT, BECAUSE OF THE OPPORTUNITIES OUR SYSTEM HAS CREATED!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the main reason iowa is different that these other states..... PEOPLE WANT TO COME TO IOWA TO HUNT, BECAUSE OF THE OPPORTUNITIES OUR SYSTEM HAS CREATED!!!!!</div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

My post was intended to show if <span style="color: #FF0000"> a nonresident landowner was given prefererential treatment over a nonresident applying for a tag in a given state. </span>

Texas,Nebraska, New York, Michigan and several other states weren't listed because they have NO QUOTA, but nr lo and nr pay same price for tags.

I guess the best way to put it is:34 states treat the nonresident landowner just like a nonresident, no special treatment.

Back 40, that's why Pennsylvania doesn't have the great hunting that Iowa has. We don't want to turn into Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania does have way more hunters than Iowa does though. We don't wan't to be Missouri either, allowing Rifle season during the rut. I don't Iowa to turn into Illinois where if you are a resident in some of those counties and don't own land, good luck trying to get permission to hunt when they are charging 2 to 4 thousand for hunts during the rut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the main reason Iowa is different that these other states..... PEOPLE WANT TO COME TO IOWA TO HUNT, BECAUSE OF THE OPPORTUNITIES OUR SYSTEM HAS CREATED!!!!!</div></div>

The NR for this new Legislation really have absolutely no grasp on the "big picture" of managing deer. If they did, you would realize the FOI is a group of self serving individuals that have no regard for anyone but themselves. They will screw up Iowa hunting and make it just like the states of PA, MI, IN, NC, SC.........list goes on. If those states had any idea on how to manage deer, folks would not be trying to change our state to make easier access. I hate to even bite on these posts because changing your minds is pointless and you have absolutely no chance in changing mine. I have lived in IL and have seen the the way management that would occur from folks just like FOI. I will welcome the NR to come here and hunt but feel that all should go through the same draw to get a tag, landowner or not.

Top Bottom