Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Interesting Situation, what do you think.

Massive poaching

Ok, I'm not saying the co's are doing anything illegal. I'm am telling you my friend did not do anything illegal. For anyone to jump to that conclusion is crazy. But just like walking 5 miles shed hunting and finding a dead buck, you want to keep the horns. It is his land and he wanted the rack. He has dealt with poachers for the last 2 years. Rifle them and leave them lay. 27 deer to be exact. About half our more, bucks. I would think the bullet and tissue would be more damming evidence than the horns. Deer is a deer, buck or doe. Should have checked both to compare.
I really didn't want to start any kind of p# ssing match on here just curious how others saw it. I believe in our CO's so I am on the fence how or why this would happen.

Sorry breezed through this and didn't read every word, but if someone/landower is dealing with poaching for 2 years and 27 deer have been shot. Why has he not called the CO before, and why is he not driving around at night trying to prevent this and catch the poachers.

If I lived near my farm and I found that many dead deer shot, I would personally call the the TV station/newspaper/DNR/CO/ anyone that would get the word out so that the poachers would maybe move on to another spot?? I'd have my friends set up at night with cameras to get a plate number or something?

That would a story that I am sure they would print/film, 27 deer in two years?

Integrity isn’t doing the right thing, it’s doing the right thing when nobody is watching. I applaud your buddy for doing the right thing. In this instance the outcome wasn’t what he hoped for but it is the way poaching cases are handled. This may be a bit of a stretch, but when has the DA or police ever given back evidence in a murder case?
As far as the doe, idle conjecture will never answer the question so I will keep it to myself

Very few things can be released following a murder conviction. Other cases, once the statute is up, a conviction has happened, and the appeal timeline has expired, then evidence can be released to the rightful owner. I don't know for sure, but the issue might be determining the "owner." I know that the state considers deer to be property of the state (unless you hit one with your car :grin:) but the landowner might be the next logical person to release it to.

I do understand why they arent releasing it to your buddy any time soon. It is poached after all, so they would have to keep it until the statute of limitations has expired, even if no arrest is made. After the statute of limitations has expired, no one can be charged anyway. Then it would either be released to the "owner" (again who is the owner?) or used how the state wishes, ie. displays, education, etc. Let us know how it works out.

Hardwood, My friend lives 2 1/2 hours away. He is moving backin a month. Plus we all have jobs and no time to survey 24/7. I understand where you are coming from though. A neighboring owner has issued a bounty on whoever is doing this's head.

I'm mostly concerned with the lack of communication between my friend and the CO's responding. Why one deer and not the other. No plausible explanation as to why they were taking the head and not going to look at the doe to see possibly if the bullets come from the same gun. We all want to catch whoever is responsible. I believe all parties had their own best inerests in mind saturday morning. Just a poor lack of communication on one side.

Ok, I'm not saying the co's are doing anything illegal. I'm am telling you my friend did not do anything illegal. For anyone to jump to that conclusion is crazy. But just like walking 5 miles shed hunting and finding a dead buck, you want to keep the horns. It is his land and he wanted the rack. He has dealt with poachers for the last 2 years. Rifle them and leave them lay. 27 deer to be exact. About half our more, bucks. I would think the bullet and tissue would be more damming evidence than the horns. Deer is a deer, buck or doe. Should have checked both to compare.
I really didn't want to start any kind of p# ssing match on here just curious how others saw it. I believe in our CO's so I am on the fence how or why this would happen.
If they catch them the penalty is stiffer for a trophy buck, thus the need to retain the antlers as evidence. I would think they could return them if case is solved, but when will that happen?

Hardwood, My friend lives 2 1/2 hours away. He is moving backin a month. Plus we all have jobs and no time to survey 24/7. I understand where you are coming from though. A neighboring owner has issued a bounty on whoever is doing this's head.

I'm mostly concerned with the lack of communication between my friend and the CO's responding. Why one deer and not the other. No plausible explanation as to why they were taking the head and not going to look at the doe to see possibly if the bullets come from the same gun. We all want to catch whoever is responsible. I believe all parties had their own best inerests in mind saturday morning. Just a poor lack of communication on one side.

Ok, well good luck, that is a lot of deer off one property, man I would be sick!

By the way, I failed to mention, the Dnr set up the decoy last feb. in this area. No takers. Plus, 2 neighboring landowners have put out a bounty on the head of whoever is doing this. Unfortunately, there are more hood-rat hillbillies in our remote little town that don't care about poaching than there are people who do. I bow hunt less than a mile away from this area, so I want an open relationship with our CO's and put these clowns in jail.

But can you seriously take him serious? I mean like said before he might just be a 10 year old just trying to get a couple laughs out of your responses. I dont think that you should becalling anyone on this site a "dumbass" until you truely know them.

I thought he was making a good point (not considering claiming it your deer and putting a slug through the rifle whole) about not calling the CO. If you look at it this way, say it is a big buck you have been chasing, it turns up dead on your land. Are you just going to give up the deer you have been chasing for a chance that they may or may not catch the poacher? I am not going to lie, i would keep that deer and try to catch the poachers yourself. It seems to me like the DNR has their hands filled with other cases, so why dont you try and get them on video?

from my experiences, if there wasnt a rifle bullet in it, they give the person the rack. I have personally seen this done with a few very big racks. even if there is an arrow stuck in it, they come and take a look at it. It is the rifle bullet that throws the flag, and for dang sure the DNR should be called. Just imo...

Everything from what i understand that gets takin in a crime goes to the state auction, unless the criminal wants to spend a lot of money to buy it back, There were some kids when i was in high school get caught for spotlighting racoons and they took all they had with them that night except the clothes on there back and it cost them a lot of dough to get it back after they paid fines off. Then just last weekend we caught 4 guy trespassing on our farm, called the dnr and they issued them fines of $695 a piece, and told them if they would have killed a deer, they would have lost everything they had in there possesion at the time truck and all.

In some states the convicted poachers have to repay the state the value of the deer/rack. Does Iowa have this law? Perhaps that's why they kept the rack?

Last edited:
Everything from what i understand that gets takin in a crime goes to the state auction, unless the criminal wants to spend a lot of money to buy it back, There were some kids when i was in high school get caught for spotlighting racoons and they took all they had with them that night except the clothes on there back and it cost them a lot of dough to get it back after they paid fines off. Then just last weekend we caught 4 guy trespassing on our farm, called the dnr and they issued them fines of $695 a piece, and told them if they would have killed a deer, they would have lost everything they had in there possesion at the time truck and all.

Wow, I've never heard of fines that high for tresspassing.

Top Bottom