Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Interior Food Plot Design and Setup

IowaBowHunter22

I have a 60 acre timber with a creek running through it. I am having a guy come this week to install some colverts so I will be able to access the timber with equipment. I am Going to remove about 2-3 acres of timber in the middle. What would be the best food to plant?

In the food plot I am going to have a hunting tower built. I am going to have trees removed in 8 directions so I will be able to see a very long distance. Each strip will be anywhere from 200 yds - 1000 yds.

Should I plant one type of food in the main plot and something else on every strip? I will be able to get any type of equipment in this property.

I will be bow hunting and either late or eary muzzy.

One neighbor has a 2 acre of beans (for deer) and another neighbor has a few hundred acres that will also be beans next year (for ag)

Does this sound like a good idea what I have planned or can anyone think of any better ideas?

Thanks

I would definitely plant a variety. One thing I've noticed with my food plot program on my Missouri farm, is that it pays to strategically place the food plots based on prevailing wind directions and stand access. I am a big fan of soybeans since they can cover the early and most of the late season. Unfortunately small stands of soybeans can/will get hammered when put into remote locations Most clover varieties work well until there are a few hard frosts but can act as a magnet in October. Definitely diversify your offerings and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. DONT FORGET TO TAKE SOIL SAMPLES AND FERTILIZE! Good luck.

I would plant clover for sure for part- no question. The other part I'd probably start out with the Dbltree mix of Winter rye, jerry oats, clover, winter peas & forage radishes. half & half. Both are cheap and easy. i would not do beans in this circumstance unless ALL you care about is late ML and you're willing to take a gamble that all won't get eaten by then- a gamble you will likely lose. Could add some turnips to 2nd mix but I bet you'll find forage radishes better anyways & they do better in the mix than turnips
Get your soil tested or just load up on P&K & pelletized lime. Apply nitrogen as well to the 2nd mix when planting if you did that.

Thanks! I'll check that out. I'm more concerned about bow but would still like a little food for late muz. Either way I'll be able to shoot down 8 different lanes at 250 yds with the scope so food won't be as important.

Top Bottom