Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa NR Draw results are IN!!

What a kick in the teeth. First I hear about the crappy new gun seasons, then I fail to draw zone 5 archery with 1 point. Truly a shi**y day.

Only reason I didn't draw was because my hunting partner forgot to appply in 2003 and fell a point behind me.

What a great year. No tags in UT, WY, CO, NV, OR, ME, NH......now Iowa. Now I'll probably draw too many next year. Still have AZ, but those are real longshots. Illinois is my lone backup plan. Oh, well. Would have liked to see Iowa one more time before the gun massacre.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Zim, by putting in with your partner you had no chance at drawing a tag. Unlike last year I found a lot of people in Zone 5 (archery) with 2 points.

Tim

Make sure and spread the news, after this year Iowa won't even be worth hunting anymore!
evil.gif

Tim,

I had another friend in a group of 3 that drew last year with a lone point. Also I knew of two other parties that drew, both with only one point. It's probably a 1/2 unit but getting closer to 2.

Ghost,

If I were you, I wouldn't be joking about the upcoming regression in quality. I personally saw what just a January antlerless rifle season alone did to Kansas over the past 6 years. If you think there will be no significant dropoff is quality, you are kidding yourself. It will happen.

Instead of joking, I'd be on the phone with your legislators. Once the guns move in, you will never get rid of them. Never. Mark my words.

[ QUOTE ]
...What a great year. No tags in UT, WY, CO, NV, OR, ME, NH......now Iowa. Now I'll probably draw too many next year. Still have AZ, but those are real longshots. Illinois is my lone backup plan. Oh, well. Would have liked to see Iowa one more time before the gun massacre.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm...I spend enough time and money just hunting in my own home state, must be rough!
crazy.gif

Zim...sorry for the joke. I thought it was funny when I typed it.
frown.gif

If you have been doing any reading on this site you would know that I am about as anti-rifle season as you can get! Take time to check out a few of my posts.

All jokes aside, good luck finding a quality whitetail hunt somewhere in the U.S. this year.
waytogo.gif

Ghost,

Actually I do have my last backup plan. Illinois. I live only 10 minutes from the border. Buck quality where we hunt is just as good as my Iowa spot, if not a bit better. However, It's kind of an industrial atmosphere. Plus the folks I meet in rural Iowa are the best. Just an overall great camping/hunting experience.

I hope what happened in Kansas doesn't happen in Iowa, but I bet it does. Talk about brutal. Many uneducated folks won't have a clue why they start seeing fewer and fewer bruisers.

Dor, How many points did you have? Theres a guy on the Bowsite claiming he drew a zone 9 bow tag with 1 point!

I failed to draw a late muxxleloader tag for zone 5. No point. Now with 1 point I'd rather archery hunt zone 5. From what I'm hearing here you feel there is no shot at an archery tag without 2 points?

tped,

There's quite a few guys posting on Bowsite who did draw archery zone 5 with one point. I bet the chances are somewhere between 25%-40%. I will certainly be there next year with 2 points. I could strangle my buddy for his lazyness 2 years ago. I tried calling him 5 times before the deadline that year to remind him. This year I got his CC# and did it for him.

If I'm looking at it right, some people with zero points drew archery tags for zone 5. Could be I read it wrong and could be a DNR mistake.

Also, don't forget that when you put in as a group that your points are that of the lowest points in the group. You can have 10 people with 10 points each and one person with zero and your score then is zero points.

My buddy from MN drew a season 1 gun tag for our area for the 3rd year in a row with zero points each time.

150 Class, you're just looking at it wrong. The points in the spreadsheet are what you have after this year's drawing. So if the person drew a tag they now have zero points.

As far as zone 5 archery, last year if you had a point you drew a tag. This year I see a lot of people now have 2 points. Plus the spreadsheet doesn't include people that just put in for a point. I work with a guy that bought a point and he doesn't show up when he enters his name.

Tim

My son and I drew bowtags for zone 4 with 1 point each. We hunt with family and spent a few days last year chasing does between visits with the relatives.Didn't lower the population any but we did see a few nice prospects for this year up close and personal! I come from a state with great hunting and fishing but my favorite hunt is down in Iowa with my family and bow.Feal fortunate that your hunting remains relatively cheap as an Iowa bowhunt ( non- resident + airfare ) is cheaper for me than taking my son on a caribou hunt in our own state. ($1500 ea.) I don't mind drawing every other year as long as the quality remains good. Have a great summer and we'll see you this fall!

Hmmm... PY, how right you are! I figured it might be something like that. You would think I would have caught the fact that every person awarded a tag now has zero points!

A Caribou hunt is THAT expensive for a local? Bummer man i thought those critters are a dime a Dz. I did not draw but Definately will try Ill. or Ohio. Good Luck to All!

I drew a zone 9 tag with one point also.
I was almost certain two points would be required. My guess is several other hunters thought the same so they just bought the $10 preference point????

Top Bottom