Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa NR Draw results are IN!!

That one point zone 9 deal is incredible. That unit has aways had more applicants than the others by a significant amount. I never would have predicted this could have happened. I wish they get rid of the 35% cap so the odds could be more easily figured out. With the new $10 point deal many applicants probably figured they'd save fronting the money and just pay $10.

I wouldn't try ILL, I hear that there are no deer there, in fact in the last three years I haven't seen even a single doe while hunting!!!
grin.gif

I really don't "try" IA nor IL. I have scouted and hunted both so long I know I will take a good buck in either place. Both on public land. However, I always poke around both states checking out new areas just for fun. Actually found a new 1,500 acres in IL that has been closed to all hunting for 25 years. Will probably go scout that this summer for fun. I know there are monsters in there.

Really I'm more sick about these 2 new brutal IA gun seasons than not drawing there this year. What a cataclismic step back for all trophy deer enthusiasts.

The other good thing is I found out a 170" buck was taken walking off my property in 2003. I know exactly the trail that buck came off of. It's a tremendous funnel I'd kept away from in prior years due to the entry/exit. But this is the year to experiment there. It will be fun checking it out. I already located 2 great trees for stands, and will set a trail timer and clear shooting lanes soon.

To all disapointed non_residents figure this one out. I know a guy and i checked it out my self he has drawn a muzzleloader tag three years in a row.where does the points come in here.

jj6,

That's because the majority of nonresidents apply for the archery tags because they are during prime rut. The gun applicants are actually lower compared to the number of tags available. Another thing that makes the gun tags not as popular is their short season length. Bottom line is your odds are better for drawing either shotgun or muzzleloader than bow. I know lots of guys that draw gun tags every year.

First off - what sreadsheet are you guys referring too? Where do I find it?

We applied for the muzzleloader tag due to the fact that we knew with 0 points that drawing the archery tag was near impossible but the odds for the gun tag with 5 on the application were actually pretty good. The guy we hunt with up until this year had never had anyone not draw the late season muzzle tag and we had drawn it in the past also. I prefer bowhunting and bowhunted last November and drew zone 5 in 2004 with the one point. We were jsut playing the odds. Now we would like to bowhunt again next year and will have 5 again on the app with 1 point -- odds?

I am just curious about this but how do they split up the zones and is there a map that someone could guide me to? Like I said I'm just curious for no particular reason. Also if someone in here is in a real pinch for a spot let me know and I might be able to line something up for ya. With no fee, I'm not that guy. You can PM me if ya want. I can't promise anything but I could do some checking for ya.

My hunting buddy fell behind in points last year and this year I made him apply separately from me. I'm not going down because he was lazy. By the way.... see you in Nov.

Top Bottom