Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

JD Planter

Field Service

What kind of hp would one need to pull a 6 row JD 7000 no-till planter?

I would prefer a 4 row on 30", but this 6R has surfaced.

I have a uncle that pulls one on flat river bottom with a old 730 JD. I'm guessing it has mid 50s hp ? Doesn't take alot of hp pulling planter. He does no till with it.Might make a diffrence with tilled ground .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm guessing it has mid 50s hp ? </div></div>

I agree...I use a AC 5040 on my 4 row JD 7000 and it doesn't even phase it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dbltree
Do you think that my Ford 35hp could pull a 4 row planter? When I looked at them, there seems to be very little price difference in used row planters, whether 2 or 4 row.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think that my Ford 35hp could pull a 4 row planter? </div></div>

I think my AC 5040 is only in the 40 hp range and my 7000 is the no-till version which is pretty heavy. The only thing you might check on is hydraulic fittings, mine needs two sets unless I don't use the row markers.

Some older planters are much lighter or may even be 3 point hitch

Good Info Dbltree...
The Ford only has one set of hydraulic fittings...the older ford 4 row didn't have row marks...I think I read, maybe even from you, of using a rod mounted on the frontend with chains hanging down as markers...just something to think about....

I have a 6 row 7000 that has wavy coulters, row cleaners and spaded closing wheels on it for no-till. I pull it with JD 3010 diesel with no real problems. The 3010 has about 55hp. Highly recommend the Martin row cleaners and spaded closing wheels. In a true no till situation they help you achieve better plant populations and allow you to plant under a little wetter conditions.

Top Bottom