Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kevin's First Buck

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
"Kevin's First Buck" Below is the story, if you'd also like to watch the video, click here; Kevin's First Buck Video

Last year during Iowa's youth season I introduced my step brother, Kevin, to deer hunting. He killed a doe, and has since been hooked!
*here is a picture of Kevin's doe from 2012 youth season;

This year, he wanted to kill a buck, and I was going to do my best to help him accomplish that goal. On Friday evening, I hit the gravel roads around the farms I hunt in hopes of finding a field that the deer were heavily using. As the sun began to set, I found a lush green alfalfa field that was full of deer, including several nice bucks. I immediately began to formulate a game plan as I knew we'd be hunting this particular field the following evening.

Saturday morning I picked up Kevin bright and early and we headed down to Centerville to the AGL Memorial Youth Hunt. It was a great time, and we met a lot of awesome people and great kids. After taking part in all of the activities, Kevin and I headed to the alfalfa field and were set up by 5.

It wasn't long and deer started to enter the field, but they were all out of range. As the evening progressed, more deer entered the field, but still out of range....that was until something spooked them. The herd of deer, including one nice buck, headed our direction. Once they reached 75-80yds they stopped, and Kevin settled his crosshairs and squeezed off. The big buck mule kicked and ran out into the field. He stood there for 6-7minutes before finally running off. I knew we needed to wait until the morning before taking up the trail.

The following morning Kevin, myself, and several others headed out to find Kevin's deer. After analyzing the terrain, I took the most educated 'guess' as to where the buck ran too. I headed that direction, and shortly after entering the woods found Kevin's buck. I walked back out to the field, and told the rest, including Kevin, that I had found blood. I let him take the lead, and shortly later he recovered his first buck ever. At 12yrs old, this kid is hooked, and I couldn't be happier for him! Congrats Kevin!

Last edited:
Top Bottom