Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land Management Project

Non-native, invasive cedar trees in an open grass habitat block light/warmth and inhibit growth of valuable native forbes, legumes, and grasses. This landowner is likely managing for diversity in his vegetation. If it were mine I would of just ran a fire over it :)

He also could be shaping a block of cedar to create some sort of bottleneck or shoot em in a barrel type of situation.

A lot of time Cedar trees get too thick. Opening some thickets up some is beneficial. Obviously it would be nice to transplant some of those trees elsewhere BUT sure a need in a lot of areas I hunt to open it up. Very cool. If you want to mention it- what kind of hourly rate? Looks like an expensive unit BUT in a day, I bet you could transform some areas pretty fast and reasonable. I like it & certain situations could really benefit!

I'm renting one of those yet this spring... Have a crap load of willows to thin, and a bunch of junk trees taking up crp, as well to clear a couple over grown areas in a pasture for plots. Its good to have a friend at the Bobcat store :D

Non-native, invasive cedar trees in an open grass habitat block light/warmth and inhibit growth of valuable native forbes, legumes, and grasses. This landowner is likely managing for diversity in his vegetation. If it were mine I would of just ran a fire over it :)

He also could be shaping a block of cedar to create some sort of bottleneck or shoot em in a barrel type of situation.

Non-native makes it sound like some foreign species, they are native species though. I live in farm country, so not lucky enough to have this cedar problem.:p

A landowner where I hunt bought a new farm a few years back, and 1 hillside was literally choked with these type of cedars and other nasty undergrowth brush. He hired a guy to come in and clear most of it, with the exception of 2 or 3 small ravines cutting through it that are still nasty thick. I then helped him burn the hillside, and it came back to the most beautiful, thick and lush big blue stem you've ever seen, and the deer and turkeys absolutely love it. Huge bedding and nesting area. I was skeptical at first too, but after seeing the results, it's undoubtedly a better habitat now than it was before.

NWBuck

Wow...that machine is freakin sweet! Chews that sucker right up...cool. Bet that hourly rate is pretty high

I'm curious about the hourly rate as well. I've been clearing a bunch of CRP by hand and it is going sslllooooowwwww. :grin:

Non-native makes it sound like some foreign species, they are native species though. I live in farm country, so not lucky enough to have this cedar problem.:p

LOL, Eastern red cedar will get so thick around me in our ditches, prairie, and pastures I think of it as invasive and non-native....but you're right it is native to Iowa. Fire takes care of it really well.

I'm curious about the hourly rate as well. I've been clearing a bunch of CRP by hand and it is going sslllooooowwwww. :grin:

Ha Ha...I helped the landowner clear a cattle pasture of a bunch of small to medium sized cedars with chainsaws and a lopper Saturday afternoon, and today my legs are sending me that not-so-gentle reminder that I'm not 25 anymore :D

NWBuck

DR Equipment has a unit that mounts to the front of an atv. It is not powered but you drive into the small cedars at a decent rate of speed and it I lops them off. Looks interesting but I have no experience with it.

A good forestry mulcher attachment will cost you close to $20k brand new, then you have to have a machine capable of running it. They require high flow hydraulics. He probably has $50-60k in his setup from what I saw in the video. My neighbor has one, and he charges like $150-200/hr.

Top Bottom