Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Start?

Iowaide

I was wondering how many of you out there have started to really hunt hard yet? Between my work schedule, kids 2&4, and wife who apparently doesn't appreciate hunting as much as I do I feel like I am starting later then ever this year. I hear many fairly experienced hunters say they don't like to hunt until almost Halloween. Am I really that far behind? We do still have couple stands to hang and then we will have about 10 to hunt out of for two people. Just curious.

I've been out 7 times and my brother 11 but I will start picking up here. I hope to get 45 days on stand this year. We really don't get too excited until the last weekend in October, just don't have the time to pattern bucks for the early season so the rut is our next best chance.

I shot a doe on opening day and have been out once since. I don't really feel like I'm missing much until after the 20th. I know in the past I burned out some stands because I hunted too often, too early. Starting next Mon., every chance to get out will be taken. I'm one of those darn farmers with corn to get out yet. Sorry guys, we haven't had a wet year like this in my memory, and I'm old!

You will be OK...look at the bright side...your stands will be fresh and you aren't burnt out yet.

If it was Christmas I would say you missed out on some good hunting... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I didn't even buy my anysex tag until a couple days ago. It felt kind of like a sin. It is big change for me, hunting everyday in college, to not even getting excited mainly because I haven't seen a deer worth getting excited about in my new location. So I am basically waiting until November /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't even buy my anysex tag until a couple days ago. It felt kind of like a sin. It is big change for me, hunting everyday in college, to not even getting excited mainly because I haven't seen a deer worth getting excited about in my new location. So I am basically waiting until November /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....ya, working for a living is a little different isn't it Mikey! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't even buy my anysex tag until a couple days ago. It felt kind of like a sin. It is big change for me, hunting everyday in college, to not even getting excited mainly because I haven't seen a deer worth getting excited about in my new location. So I am basically waiting until November /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

</div></div> HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....ya, working for a living is a little different isn't it Mikey! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Hey Ghost I don't think it's just work keeping him home. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I think you've made a good point on the burn out part. I am planning on taking Wed-Fri off the first and second week in November which will also include the weekends. That will more then likely make up for my lack of time in the seat now. At least I hope! Pray for dry cool weather......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't even buy my anysex tag until a couple days ago. It felt kind of like a sin. It is big change for me, hunting everyday in college, to not even getting excited mainly because I haven't seen a deer worth getting excited about in my new location. So I am basically waiting until November /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

</div></div> HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....ya, working for a living is a little different isn't it Mikey! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Hey Ghost I don't think it's just work keeping him home. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
</div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'm finding out that it's a lot harder to get out now with two young ones at home. But i do have a baby sitter for the first two weeks for Nov! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

When I was younger, I would have been late to my own funeral as not to miss opening day in the stand. Things have changed a little as I age. Have you heard the joke about the two bucks standing on the hill? The young 8 pointer says to the big 14 pointer," Lets run down to that picked corn field and breed us one of them does." The big buck looks down at him and says," Lets WALK down there and breed them ALL"! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I used to blow my vacation early because I was so pumped to get in a stand, now I tend to look at the big picture, and I do a lot more walking than running! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But i do have a baby sitter for the first two weeks for Nov! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

SWEET... If thats what it takes then so be it. Hopefully its not to waste. Stab a big one.

Dean

Have not stepped into the woods yet myself. I've noticed its more difficult to get outdoors raising a family. Not that its my wife keeping me from going, its just so much fun coming home to my 8 month old daughter's smile greeting me at the door! I'm kinda excited for not burning my stands early this year for a change.

I've been out twice, but I've got quite the drive to my hunting ground (135 miles).

Due to family issues, I have to conserve my vacation this year and will be limited to a WEEKEND WARRIOR. I may get an "illness" during the rut...say around Nov 8-11th. Dang colds anyway. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom