Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

legal question

shedhunter8

PMA Member
Does anyone know if it is ok to put out a feeder in your hunting area AFTER all deer seasons are closed? The purpose is to take trail pictures to find out which bucks made it and also to stack as many deer in as possible and hold them until they drop thier sheds. The feeder would be removed before spring turkey season. I have been told by friends that you "either feed em or hunt em but not both." please help.

I believe that as long as you are not hunting over the feeder or using it to attact deer to hunt at a particular time, you are fine.

...first, I admit that I have no experience or knowledge with feeders, baiting, etc. & I am not replying about the legality of feeding during the offseaon...but I felt the need (for some reason) to say proceed with caution...CWD is real and though there are a lot more questions than answers it is definitely showing itself to be contagious, especially when deer are concentrated...we are lucky here in Iowa that deer do not generally "yard-up" like they will do in colder-snowier areas but why promote it...yes, I know we do not have a confirmed report of CWD in the state yet, but we are nearly surrounded by it and with the recent discoveries of it even closer to Iowa than before it is my (not to be mistaken as scientific) opinion that we are not immune from it and will see something showup in future...food for thought anyway...

Shedhunter8 Just wondering. With the good possibility of cwd being passed from muzzle contact or a contaminated food source. Why would you risk putting out a feeder that mighn't increase the chance of spreading this diesease. I like to find sheds also by I am not a big fan of the shed hunter bucket feeder technique. And now with the increased threat of CWD. I would say NO it is not ok to put out a feeder. Your trail cam will still find some bucks if placed properly and you can't beat walking for sheds which = great scouting time for next year.

Just my opinion I have a few.
wink.gif

Top Bottom