Lost 1st season shotgun buck

wernerjd

During first season I was on post and shot and killed one drop tine buck probably scoring in the mid 140’s. I also shot at a second buck hitting him in unknown location. We had solid blood for about 350 yards and then slowing to a steady trail for 100 yards. Eventually there were just a few drops every so often. My question is where do you think he could be hit and is he dead somewhere?

I would also like to know what the blood was like. Was there tissue in it, or bone fragments, bubbles, etc? Flesh wounds are always good for a decent amount of blood, but will dry up. Gut shots are all a little bit different because there are some major veins that could be hit that would bleed out pretty well for awhile but usually you can tell a gut shot by what's in the blood...

Go shed hunt every inch of the land you shot him on, that way you'll be looking for the buck at the same time. They usually go to water OR find a little pocket that they hide in- you'll probably walk right past him if you don't cover all the random spots. Get like 5-6 buddies to go with you, you could cover a lot of ground in an afternoon.

Most deer when shot,(wounded) if not fataly hit, will head to a creek, anywhere theres water, they develope a fever and will lie in the water to reduce that, most will not travel up hill unlesss they have to, they may for awhile but will go down hill,search the easiest path you could take if you were them.this is not gaurenteed, but start thinking like they do,if your hurt, where would you travel? and if you did have to run uphill, after the adrenilin wore off,where would i go. ive found more deer laying in creeks or parcels of water than anywhere else.if no results, start grid searching as if you were hunting sheds. good luck

Another question, did you pursue this buck right away or give him time? Makes a big difference, I'm sure you know. If you pushed him he could have gone for miles....

Back