Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

lost my honey hole

doublerack

I know it's not the last time this will happen. But the best piece of hunting property I've ever had permission to hunt was sold a couple weeks ago. 87 acres of heaven as far as I was concerned. I hunted it 5 of the past 7 years harvesting some really nice deer and seeing some of the biggest deer of my life and picking up the largest set of sheds I've ever found in there.
The landowner had passed away and the kids slowly sold everything she owned.
The sad part is, it went to auction and I, nor anyone else in the area even knew. The even sadder part is all 87 acres sold for $1150 an acre. And the saddest part, I've always dreamt of owning this property and actually had the means to purchase it!
Oh well.. things happen for a purpose. Good luck to the guy that bought it. There are some monsters in there!

Bummer deal! That is a steal on the price, especially for a property that can hold deer like you speak of. Like you said, it wasn't meant to be. Hope you stumble onto an even better place soon! :way:

Dang that sucks dude. What a kick in the dinger for sure. Helluva price, wow. Maybe there is a slim chance the new landowner doesn't deer hunt and who knows what he bought it for???

About 10 years ago I drove a little out of my home area and knocked on a whole bunch of doors. In the process, I made some new friends and also aquired some fine places to spend the Spring and Fall. Good things happen to people with good attitudes! Good luck.

It is nice to hear that ground like that can sometimes still be had for a reasonable price. :drink2:

Last edited:
I have lost some dandy spots over the years, too. Even though it isn't easy when you feel like you've been dumped on ... stay positive. I know, easy for me to say, right? My point is that just when you think there isn't other ground to be had something usually comes along if you get out there and do the footwork. Good luck!

-Longspurs-

Sorry to hear that news for you. Sounds like somebody got a pretty fair deal on that piece.

Whatever new tract your next harvest comes from, that deer will have some extra satisfaction and sense of accomplishment after the work you put into gaining the necessary hunting access. Good luck.

Just curious what area you are in. I haven't seen ground go for that price for a while. Always sucks when you lose ground.

land

That does seem like a cheap price. Find out who owns it and offer them $200 acre more, or possibly higher if you can afford it. Sometimes the auction buyers are looking to buy cheap and then sell the land in the future. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
I feel for you, man! I lost my favorite bass pond that I had nearly exclusive access to just this year, so I kinda know how you feel.

Before you get too down & out I would find out who bought it and talk to them about a lease for hunting rights.
If they don't hunt, they may jump at the chance to have someone actually pay them to hunt on their property.
The worst they can tell you is no.
Just a thought.

the guy that bought it is a big time hunter. hope to meet him. offer to help him manage it maybe. I hear he lives a couple hours away.
We'll just have to wait and see...

Bummer, I can empithize with you. I lost my honey hole too after 18 years of taking care of the 45 acres of deer heaven. The owner (90) started to get dimentia & her son-in-law has taken control, against her will. He does not hunt but invited a bunch of unethical hunter freinds in. All I ever did was abide by her wishes & keep the low life tresspassers out of there, guess I pissed the son-in-law off so he got me out of there & said thre will be no more hunting, funny how there are tree stands popping up. He is so disrespectfull to her but as not to make waves I pulled my 7 stands & bit my tounge. The last 7 buck came from the same stand, a once in a life time spot that I only have memories of now. Oh well, it was a great priveledge while it lasted, maybe something else will come up?

not by a covered bridge.
and yea, I highly doubt DSM WW would ever sell any of their ground, although it has been invaded by a lot of hunters. Besides, we're moving so I'm done with the urban hunt.

Top Bottom