Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Making my own bow hoist ropes

iowabucks

Hey everyone. I'm starting to get a bigger stockpile of treestands built up every year. I always seem to be short a rope or two. Some of the ropes i already have are getting pretty short.
I have decided to make a few of my own this year. Has anyone else tried this? It looks like a real easy summer project. These are the two different products i will have to buy to get started.
PARACHUTE-CORD
ACCESSORY-CLIPS-25BAG
I don't know if this is quality cord or not. I would like to have a cord between the size of the smaller ones they make and rope size. I also don't know if i'm better off with these clips or carabiners. Carabiners would be nice but i wouldn't like the extra noise.
Does anyone know where i can get some of the metal crimps and a crimper that the commercial ones use? I probably don't need them, but they would make them look alot nicer.
Anyone ever make these? Any ideas or tips?

P-cord is one of the best all-around pieces of equipment you can keep in your pack. Its very tough and durable for its size and is very light weight. I'd say you can't go wrong with the p-cord. I know several people out here that actually use the same size rope for making nock-loops and serving (way smaller than p-cord) to hoist their bows and other gear up. I'm going to have to make my own hois tthis fall and plan on making the same style you are talking about. The $1 carabiners (not for climbing) are what I plan on using and have several of them rigged with tape to keep them quiet for other uses. I'd say you can't go wrong with that set-up.

Are you serious?You are thinking about making something you can buy for $4.I bought 10 30' bow tow ropes for $40 last year from Scheels.

Parachute cord works great. You don't even need the hooks or carabiners. All you need to do is a tie a loop on the end of of the rope. The loop will be about big enough to put your fist through. All you do is hold your bow up, take the rope and pull it through right where the string and the top limb meet, then put the loop over your cams and it will lock tight. Especially if you have the rope hanging 4-5ft off the ground so your bow doesn't touch the ground or get caught on anything. It cinches up like a champ. No noise, no extra cost. If you have a bag your are going to pull up to, pull the string through a backstrap pack, then through your bow and loop it up on the cam. It holds rock solid.

If you have a gun, loop through the sling then over the barrel or butt of the stock. (Make sure the gun is unloaded :))

Last edited:
Parachute cord works great. You don't even need the hooks or carabiners. All you need to do is a tie a loop on the end of of the rope. The loop will be about big enough to put your fist through. All you do is hold your bow up, take the rope and pull it through right where the string and the top limb meet, then put the loop over your cams and it will lock tight. Especially if you have the rope hanging 4-5ft off the ground so your bow doesn't touch the ground or get caught on anything. It cinches up like a champ. No noise, no extra cost.

I use the same method also and highly recommend it for cost and zero noise.

If you don't want to tie the rope together and want some sort of crimped closure just go pick up some hog rings and use those. I'd just cut the sharp ends off.

Are you serious?You are thinking about making something you can buy for $4.

Absolutely.

I have had a few of the store bought ropes not even last 3 years for me. Paracord should beat that all to hell. I can make custom length ropes too. I take pride in something i can build myself even if it is a cheap hoist rope.

Best rope!!!!!!!!

Military Supply store

they got some good stuff

camo, 1/4" and very stiff rope, no tangle, 100' for like $6, light weight and strong

Neat idea, and agree with you about taking pride insomething you can build yourself, Good luck. Another idea for anyone else looking into this also would be to look at http://www.huntinhoist.com/php/index.php. Thses are retractable tangle free hoist reels. I have had one for about 5 years and it is great. Clips on your belt or back pocket, and reals out as you climb, and retracts back in as you pull up your gun or bow. Use mine for hanging tree stands too. Pretty durable also, I let my nephew borrow it for shotgun season once and he left it in the stand. Didn't figure this out until the following fall. After I got all the ants out of it, it still worked like new.

Are you serious?You are thinking about making something you can buy for $4. I think you want to make your own...

Top Bottom