Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moose Hunt | Guide Gift

Adventure

Looking for a little creative help...

My brother and I are going on a bow moose hunt in Newfoundland during the first week of October and I am looking for some creative ideas for gift to our guides.

Common practice is to give your guide a tip $200-$400 or a gift. The more I talk to the outfitter I am hearing that most of the guides like gifts since their wives usually end up taking the tip money (as a married man I completely understand that logic).

So, in light of that, we would like to give each of our guides a gift that says "thank you for taking care of a few Iowa boys". Anyone out there have any ideas? We plan on taking a few John Deere hats out there for them but would obviously like something a liittle (or a lot) nicer.

Stick with cash and small gestures... like if they comment on a piece of your gear that you could live without (ie a flashlight or gloves), leave it with them.

If its possible, take a cooler full of good iowa beef. Steaks, roasts, hamburger etc.

I would think a really nice knife, headlamp, flashlight would work. I would probably still do mainly cash. If some dude handed me $400 the wife would only know of about $100 of that if you know what I mean.

Couple bottles of Templeton, Iowa Chops, Corn Fed Ribeyes, and maybe some homemade salsa would do the trick I bet

Most if not all of the guides that I have known rely on tips as a significant portion of their income, a little like waitresses. I'm sure they would also appreciate a gift in addition to a tip but I can't fathom many wanting a gift instead of $$$. They work hard for a living and aren't normally getting very rich at what they do. Money is always in good taste!

I would just stick to cash. You don't know what their situation is. Maybe they have some serious bills or debt to pay off. Kind of hard to pay bills with a knife or flashlight. If they don't have bills to pay then they could always use the cash to buy what they want.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I would agree that at least the majority in cash is a great idea...I would also assume they dont make much at the end of the day.

I like the TR idea...we have some friends from Templeton so I think we can get our hands on the good stuff.

Top Bottom