Mountain Lion

PMA Member
Well good friend Dan A and I set out to hunt cougars in southwestern Utah on March 6. We were hunting with outfitter Jake Bess from Timber Mountain Outfitters. The hunt was going to be a 7 day hunt. We met with Jake on the 5th and he informed us that they had located a couple sets of fresh tracks that we would pursue in the morning.
DSCN1575.jpg

DSCN1579.jpg

It was a sleepless night as we were anxious to get on the mountain and chase some cats. The conditions were quite nice about 40 degrees and sunny. After a short snowmobile ride we arrived at our first set of tracks. Keeping in mind we are still quite close to the town where we stayed. We turned out 3 dogs on the first track and listened to them disappear into the ravine. Dan and Jake stayed and were going to follow the first 3 hounds. Jake's dad Kim and I continued on snowmobiles only a few hundred yards further up the mountain and released 3 more hounds on the second track. The dogs made short work of the mountain and were over the top hot on the trail of a lion.

Kim and I started the LONG, STEEP climb up the mountain. It took us approximately 2 hours to reach the top and we could hear the dogs treed a short distance away. After catching our breath we walked on. About 150 yards from the tree I saw my very first mountain lion and I was pumped. She was beautiful laying up on the branch of a huge ponderosa pine tree.

DSCN1591.jpg

DSCN1584.jpg

DSCN1590.jpg

DSCN1586.jpg

Kim and I walked to the tree and he caught the dogs and got ready for the shot I videoed the lion for a bit and snapped some pictures. As soon as I picked up my bow the cat got anxious and baled. Kim quickly released the dogs and after a short trail they had her caught again. It took us another 20 minutes to reach them and this time the cat was in some old deadfall and looked ready to jump anytime. We made it to about 30 yards and she baled yet again.

DSC00096.jpg

After another short tracking job the awesome hounds had her caught up another large ponderosa. Not wasting any time I nocked an arrow and prepared myself. The cat appeared to be calm so I was starting to show Kim how to run my video camera and thats when she stood up. I let my instincts take over and I quickly drew and settled my pin. I hit the release as the cougar ran across the branch. My shot was slightly back but the lion only went a short distance before laying down. I then walked up and finished her with a pistol so there was no suffering to the animal. She was magnificent and truly one of the most beautiful animals I have ever seen. I was extremely happy and ready to go see how Dan was doing.

DSCN1599.jpg

DSCN1606.jpg

The cat they originally turned out on for Dan had already jumped out of 7 trees and was not wanting to offer any shots. Finally at about 3 in the afternoon the dogs got her caught for her final time. She was up a huge pine tree and we quickly moved into position for a shot. This time I was videoing the whole thing and got to watch Dan make an absolutely perfect shot on his cat and she was dead before she hit the ground.

DSCN1619.jpg

DSCN1624.jpg

Both cats were mature females probably 4 to 6 years old. They weighed around 115 pounds, had 12 6/8" skulls and were 6'6" from nose to tail. This was absolutely one of the hardest, funnest hunts that I have ever been on. I would do it again anytime I had the chance. The guides at Timber Mtn Outfitters did a truly remarkable job.:way:

This may sound insane.....but that is a wicked looking pine tree she's in!!

Sounds fun, cool pics, thanks for sharing.

That is a well documented hunt with great photos. Congrats to the both of you and thank you for sharing the experience. :way:

man, those are some great pics.....i think i have found a new wallpaper pic.

congradulations on an awesome trip

Awesome story...way to take 'em down with the bow! Congrats and thanks for sharing....loved the pics!

:way:

Wow that is awesome, congrats. Whats the ballpark numbers for the cost of a hunt like that?

Back