Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muddy Stick users

Wow, this thread went sour fast. I don't think Todd was accusing you of anything other than to remind others to check their equipment. Not a bad suggestion to anyone regardless of how thorough one can be.

Also a reminder to wear your safety harness on your way up and down a tree. Most falls happen climbing into or out of the stand. I realize that's hard with the hang on set ups but something worth trying to work out.

Good to hear Muddy stands behind their product and will replace.

LW Sticks will start to fail after a few years of hard use and it probably doesnt help to be in the 250lb range. Look where the step comes in contact with the allen head bolt. A groove will start to form. When it gets bad enough the step will start to angle down which is dangerous.

Such a bad design. If they just made the contact point on the bolt wider so that it was the width of step the issue would be solved.

The easy fix is to flip the step over and get a couple more years out of them. I finally just replaced all my steps for $10 / stick. Not bad to potentially save my life.

Wow, this thread went sour fast. I don't think Todd was accusing you of anything other than to remind others to check their equipment. Not a bad suggestion to anyone regardless of how thorough one can be.

Also a reminder to wear your safety harness on your way up and down a tree. Most falls happen climbing into or out of the stand. I realize that's hard with the hang on set ups but something worth trying to work out.

Good to hear Muddy stands behind their product and will replace.

No, I didn't mean to be a smart arse, but read Todd's first line. He was assuming. You know what they say about that.

Sorry for derailing. Muddy has taken care of everything. Great company to work with. I have a lot of muddy equipment, and equipment is top notch, never had to use their customer service till today, and they have a customer for life with me, that is for sure.

Nanny, I see you noticed the snarky from todd too. I wish I was more like him... I was gonna comment on his post but elected not to. I'm glad you weren't hurt and got things squared away man. Good luck the rest of the season

LW Sticks will start to fail after a few years of hard use and it probably doesnt help to be in the 250lb range. Look where the step comes in contact with the allen head bolt. A groove will start to form. When it gets bad enough the step will start to angle down which is dangerous.

Such a bad design. If they just made the contact point on the bolt wider so that it was the width of step the issue would be solved.

The easy fix is to flip the step over and get a couple more years out of them. I finally just replaced all my steps for $10 / stick. Not bad to potentially save my life.

I think it was Muddy (the dude, not the company) that showed me his that were doing that a while back. My LW are still in great shape after 4 years, but then again, I am still under the 250 lb range by a bit. :grin:

nannyslayer said:
I think it was Muddy (the dude, not the company) that showed me his that were doing that a while back. My LW are still in great shape after 4 years, but then again, I am still under the 250 lb range by a bit. :grin:

Lol i think most guys are under 250. I will say that it greatly helps if you keep the bolts tight to prevent any slop in that area that makes it worse. I have a great picture of what I am talking about to post later.

I bet a lot of guys dont really notice it starting to happen. Just need everyone to be aware of it. A guy a couple farms over was paralyzed friday from a tree stand accident. We all need to be safe out there as we all know.

Kill a hawg everyone!! Tis the season!!

I think my lone wolfs are starting to do it, honestly. I noticed that one of my steps was getting really hard to swing the other direction. I dont really have any rime or reason to how I hang my steps so I'm always flipping them back and forth depending on how I have my stand in that particular tree.

I may need to look into replacing the steps and bolts.

I have the LW steps, and I agree, gotta tighten the bolts every once in awhile, and absolutely yes, for a fella in the 250 lb range, the individual steps at the bolts start to wear down. I've had mine fr 4 or 5 years and they are starting to wear down. Regardless of your equipment, always check your gear!

Mike, can you post that picture showing the wear on the bolts. I've never noticed anything on mine yet, but now you have me curious/worried.

FWIW, I contacted Muddy customer service this morning and found them to VERY responsive, quite unlike many other companies these days. After talking for a couple of minutes with the customer service rep, Jo I believe, I ended up on a conference call with Steve(part owner) and Jared and it was quite apparent that they took this issue seriously and were willing to "do whatever it takes" to resolve it with me. That both men took time immediately out of their day to talk via conference call with me was impressive to me.

As it turns out, it seems likely that the sticks that I just bought are new enough that they are not likely to have this problem. But it was very reassuring to talk to them about it. Clearly, no company wants a liability problem with their products and consequently I would expect that they would take this seriously, but both men also seemed to genuinely care about the safety of their customers too.

Thanks again to Nanny for pointing out this potential issue.

Not a problem. I feel the same way as you described about them. They are quick to respond and wanted to know every detail on what happened. They offered a refund for the sticks, but I asked if an exchange would be ok. They said that would be great!

Top notch people to work with.

180class, just look where the step is bolted to the stick itself on your LWs. As it flips back and forth there is another stoppage bolt that the step rests on, look where the step comes in contact with that bolt. Mine did the same thing but I think it's because I use them pretty much 100% of the time. I turned them around and fixed it and am about ready to just order some new ones.

I don't think anything out there takes wear and tear and needs maintenance, tree sticks included.

Do they make any sticks for fattys like me that weigh well over 250 lbs and have size 14 boots? I need a stick that sticks out far enough from the tree that I have more then just my tiptoes on them.

Do they make any sticks for fattys like me that weigh well over 250 lbs and have size 14 boots? I need a stick that sticks out far enough from the tree that I have more then just my tiptoes on them.

Ameristep Alumninum Rapid Rails are what you need. I have them on my 2 permanent setups and they are fantastic.

Top Bottom