Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

my first bow deer, first night of season

iatreehugger

PMA Member
It was the last day of youth season, and the first day of the 2011 bow season. I took my little sister out to a farmers ground that morning to try to get her first deer, after sitting for about and hour and a half a little spike buck came through, she raised the gun and dropped him, when its your first deer size doesnt matter, she was shaking and exstatic. seing the excitment got me excited and it was my turn, even though it wasnt rut i couldnt wait any longer, i was gunna head out that night.

I sat in my acorn stand in our little 32 acre section of land behind our house on first night of season when this old guy came through with about 15 min until dark. i shot him and it looked good, i headed up to the house and told my dad, he was pumped up just like me. we sat for about an hr and a half as i shared all the details of the hunt. i dont think he really expected anything to big since it was the first deer i saw and the first night. we followed the blood trail and found him about 100 yards away from where i shot him. he was supper supprised and really excited for me when he saw how big he was. he wouldve been proud anbd excited for me no matter how big he was.
Bow hunting was always a big thing with me and my dad and this got him fired up. I’m glad i got to share this experience with him this season because it was going to end up being my last opportunity. my mom and dad where headed to my wrestling tournament on Feb. 4th and they ended up sliding off the road in the snow and hit a box culvert, they both passed away that day and headed to meet the good lord in heaven.... a friend of my dad knew that i had shot a pre good buck and wondered what i had done with it, my dad and i had ended up freezing it, cape and all even though we were only going to do a euro mount. He offered to get it mounted for me and i couldn’t pass the opportunity. He took it to a local taxidermist named Corey Kreutz and they got to talking about all of it, and everything that had happened. They told me they were going to do something special with it but i couldn’t even dream of how amazing it would turn out. Somehow they contacted some big hunting organizations and everything got donated! Corey also donated a lot of time to do this deer. i am so blessed to have had all this come together like it did! i will now have this memory that will last forever, every time i see the deer i think of all the great memories of my dad and I hunting, and all the support that i am so blessed to have.
picture.php

picture.php

(the little screen at the bottom shows pictures of my dad and i on some of our hunting adventures)

God Bless you. That was not at all what I was expecting to read. I will say a prayer for you as well. Good to hear that you could share this experience with your Dad. A true memory forever no doubt. Hang in there partner.

That is a great deer, i'm glad you were able to share the moment with your dad. You seem to understand what it is all about. Being thankful what you have and never taking anything for granted.

prayers to you and yours, great story and that is one amazing looking deer, sure to bring a smile back every time you look at him.

Moments like this that you had with your dad and hunting are memories that you can cherish forever. Thanks for sharing the story

Your story is one I remember pretty vividly from last winter. Thanks for sharing this piece of it with us. I hope you're able to continue wrestling and hunting as I'm sure your mom and dad were very proud of you for taking on both and working so hard to be successful.

This sport brings the ones closest to you together. That story really puts things into perspective. I'm glad you were able to share that experience as a family. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your little sis.

Iatreehugger - congrats on a great buck, but way more importantly...congrats on having such an outstanding family. You and I do not know each other, but I did know your dad at a level back in the day. Your neighbors to the north and I are friends and long before your parents built the house you live in I used to hunt that ground. In fact, I used to have a treestand right where your house sits. (Small world huh? :))

I have shot more than a few deer within a 1/2 mile of your house, a couple in what would now be your front yard, and that is a nice buck for that area for sure. I can remember when your dad moved to the neighborhood, we actually went rabbit hunting together in a group a time or two and your dad was a big buck killer then too. It looks like the apple did not fall far from the tree.

I think it is a great story that you have posted here where so many have extended themselves to you and helped you and your siblings. That is just a small reflection of the help that your parents provided to many others in the community, they were true blue to everyone they knew.

I hope you keep wrestling and hunting and I look forward to reading more of your posts here on IW. Congrats again!

Thank you for sharing. Stories like yours keep everything in perspective. Great buck and congrats.

Heck of a deer, and I'm sorry to hear of your loss. You and your sis stay strong in the Lord and don't be afraid to ask for help :way:

NWBuck

Heck of a deer, and I'm sorry to hear of your loss. You and your sis stay strong in the Lord and don't be afraid to ask for help :way:

NWBuck

well said! You have a extended family here on IW and as corny as it may sound we are all blood brothers when we share this great sport! If you ever need anything, don't be afraid to ask.

God Bless

Condolences on your loss. Congratulations on the buck. Best of luck in the future. Stay strong... and a hearty round of applause for all who had a hand in making this tribute happen!!!

I can't really say anything more than has all ready been said. I have faith that you will turn into a very strong man in no time and take good care of your little sister. Congrats on a great buck and your fortune to have so many that care. Like others have said, don't hesitate to ask for anything!

Very good story. Love it that you took your sister out in addition to you harvesting an awesome buck. What a great memory with your dad while recovering your buck - hold on to that.

I lost my father on February 2nd to pancreatic cancer so I'm familiar with what shoes you're wearing. It's tough man, hang in there-remember the good times. It looks like you have a good group of guys there and you're in good company here at Iowa Whitetail.

Hey man. Nice buck! I also lost my dad to pancreatic cancer last november. I hope u stay strong and this season u get another one in honor of your parents. Good luck on the upcoming season both in hunting and wrestling.

Top Bottom