Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need some reassurance here

alh09

I know I know... These posts are becoming annoying.

I have not seen much activity hunting lately. I passed on a 130" 10 pt saturday morning and I watched him chase a doe or two. Other than that they are still working scrapes. I opted out of taking this week off to hunt due to the high temps. I am shooting for all of next week off now. Do you think I made the right call?

Keep in mind I hunt wide open areas in NW Iowa and I am counting on a mature buck to cruise by on my creek.

Last edited:
I saw more movement this weekend than I have yet this year. I think the right time is now or here VERY soon. Are you going to get one? Heck I don't know. But whether you get a big buck or not, it will still be better than work!

I saw 2 deer This weekend 2 bucks. I heard of chasin but still have yet to see a full on chase. In my area its still slow, still got does bunched up and have some bucks still hanging together

I am with you. I didn't see enough movement this weekend to convince me to keep hunting. Yesterday I didn't see a deer in the woods. All day I only saw 2 does and 4 fawns feeding just before dark.

That being said, I'm sitting in my office looking out at me haf field and there have been deer in it all morning. I counted 2 does, 3 fawns and a 1 1/2 yr old buck cruising.

I still think its a little early. It's only going to get better :way:

I passed 2 small bucks friday night and saw 1 deer all day saturday. Not rutting at all in my area yet (that I have seen). SE SD just a ways N of you...hopefully this weekend will be better

Lots of does still with fawns in my area. I have seen a few younger bucks dogging does, so I know it is close. I think it will really hit here mid week to friday, so next weekend should be good if the temps don't play a major role in slowing things down. Last Saturday and Sunday saw mostly does,fawns and small bucks. No chasing or anything just eat, drink and then off to bed. I'm sure a couple of does have come in and been bred already, but the majority are still a little bit off. When it gets here you'll know.

Watched 5 different 2 and 3 year olds chasing a doe for 2 hours around my stand last night. Two of them would stop and spar and then the others would pick up the chase. She looked very tired at last light! Was very fun to watch. Still have yet to see a big boy pushing does in my area. Gonna happen soon though!

Sat all day yesterday in a funnel near a bedding area in SE Iowa. Saw 6 deer total all day. Nothing moved after 9:00. Only seen a doe with two fawns and 3 small bucks just walking along. Seen more deer driving in the dark to and from my stand then I did all day. Definately big boys moving late/early and mostly at night unless you happen to be around a doe that came in early.

I'm in NW, IA too and that's what I would have done. I'm personally not seeing any rut activity, although some buddies who hunt the area have seen a little.
Temps are supposed to be warmer this week anyway and from my notes the last 3 years Nov 11th is when I've started seeing a lot of rutting and it just so happens that the 11th a major cold front is supposed to pass through. I got butterflies in my stomach every time I they showed the forecast on the morning news!
Every year I get on here & read about everyone else seeing crazy rut action & start getting worried my area sucks, I'm doing something wrong or missing something and then "poof"...it's here...just a little later.
This concludes my pep talk....helps to remind myself once in awhile too! :D

I'm in NW, IA too and that's what I would have done. I'm personally not seeing any rut activity, although some buddies who hunt the area have seen a little.
Temps are supposed to be warmer this week anyway and from my notes the last 3 years Nov 11th is when I've started seeing a lot of rutting and it just so happens that the 11th a major cold front is supposed to pass through. I got butterflies in my stomach every time I they showed the forecast on the morning news!
Every year I get on here & read about everyone else seeing crazy rut action & start getting worried my area sucks, I'm doing something wrong or missing something and then "poof"...it's here...just a little later.
This concludes my pep talk....helps to remind myself once in awhile too! :D
Where are you located? Im near Akron.

I hunted Emmet county hard all last weekend & had great morning hunts with lots of 1.5 & some 2.5 year olds chasing does. That being said I only saw 2 3.5's, 1 had a doe on lock down and the other looked like he couldn't care less about anything. This is a farm with a pretty good assortment of older deer & I didn't catch a glimpse of any of them so it must still be a little early.

I hunt in Correctionville and saw no rut activity, although, I have seen fawns all by themselves. Also had a buck at about 35 but a blow down was in the way, he was quarter away so i grunted hard and nothing but a glance and a flick of the tail, by the time he cleared the tree he was about 50, just didn't feel comfortable with it so i hung it up. I think you made the right call, late this week and next week should be prime!

Top Bottom