Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New experience

I was at my friends farm yesterday hunting deer. (rifle season) Didn't see a deer but I had a horned owl land in the tree 10 feet away. I froze and watched him for about 10 minutes. Made my day. Anybody else have an owl in thier lap?

Not an owl, but I did witness something cool. I was sitting in a hastily made ground blind in an overgrown fence row several weeks ago when I heard what I thought was a squirrel running up next to me. I slowly turned my head and saw a large mink with a sparrow type bird in its mouth. The mink sat down less than 7 yards from me and proceeded to eat his meal. He cleaned up all but the feathers and intestines, then licked his lips and ran his paws over his face several times before moving off and out of sight. It was really cool to watch.

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years back! The claws on those horned owl's are pretty scary.
bigshock.gif

Its probably not that uncommon but in the 30 plus years I've been hunting you always hear them but I never saw one THAT close.Any other non deer sightings?

My closest non-deer sighting actually was during turkey season a couple years ago. While sitting on the ground I see a squirrel coming down a trail towards me. The squirrel stops right in front of me and turns and looks at the tree. He then jumps on my leg
shocked.gif
, looks around for a couple seconds, then jumps back on the ground and continues down the trail. I never moved the whole time. When he’s on my leg I just kept thinking I hope he doesn’t jump at my head to get on the tree
crazy.gif

I scared the bejeezus out of a coon last year
jester.gif

It came to within arm's reach of me, started up a tree, then caught site of me...froze solid for what seemed like an eternity, then ever so slowly backed down the tree and tip toed away...dern funny!!

Never had an owl that close, but I did see a skunk spray a fox that kept bugging him. Was cool except I was down wind.

I had an Osprey dive at me claws first last year. I was standing and ready to draw on a doe that was about 20 yards away when I see this thing fly by me and land in the tree between me and the doe. I look up and it's staring at me so I keep an eye on it, next thing I know I'm waving my arms at this thing 10 ft from my face.
A week later I'm in the same tree stand and the squirrels start chattering at another Osprey in a tree in front of me when a seperate Osprey dives at it and knocks the one in the tree to the ground.

LAST SEASON (03) IAWAS IN ATREE STAND AND RIGHT UNDER THE TREE ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. VERY LOUD SCREAMING AND SQWAKING. IT WAS A HAWK W/ SOMETHING BUT I COULDN'T MAKE OUT WHAT IT WAS. USED THE BINOS AND SAW THE HAWK HAD A WOODPECKER. THE HAWK SAW ME MOVE A LET LOOSE OF THE PECKER WHICH IMMEDIATELY FLEW THE COOP. THE HAWK BARELY HESITATED BEFORE GOING AFTER IT AGAIN BUT THE PECKER HAD JUST ENOUGH OF A HEADSTART TO GET AWAY.
I USED TO BE AN OVER THE ROAD TRUCK DRIVER AND PICKED UP A LOAD AT AN OLD FACTORY. SAW A WHITE PIGEON COME BLAZING OUT A WINDOW IN THE PLACE AND ABOUT 2 SECONDS LATER CAME THE FALCON. IT WAS LIKE A SIDEWINDER MISSLE HITTING A JET. THE FALCON HIT THE PIGEON LIKE A LOAD OF #6 SHOT. 10MIN LATER FEATHERS AND FINE DOWN WERE STILL DRIFTING IN THE WIND.

Great thread!

I've had a lot of stuff happen over the years. One funny one was when I was gun, turkey hunting in the spring, about 10 years ago. I was sitting against a large tree with my legs stretched out and boots against a small log. A raccoon came along looking for food. It ended up digging under the other side of the log about 6" from my feet. I wasn't sure what it would do next so I quietly took the gun which was on my lap and poked the raccoon with the barrel. I must have really scared the you know what out of that poor raccoon. He let out a terrified squeal that sounded half coon half pig and tore out of there. Still makes me smile to think about it.
grin.gif

Old Buck

Saw a coon catch a rabbit this year and proceed to climb a huge oak tree and eat it. The best part is I caught it all on video. Pretty cool stuff. Coon can be means SOB's.
ooo.gif

Top Bottom