Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

new stand

iowachip

I am thinking about building a new stand in my CRP, What better, a blind, or a tree stand, the CRP is Mostly grass, but dose have a few big tree, and I don’t want to buy, would like to build, what materials have people found that works well
confused.gif

bow or gun hunting would be my first question. if you're planning on bowhunting the CRP any i'd go with a ground blind.

You could always build a ground blind using logs, tree limbs, brush etc... whatever is available at the location you hunt. Some of the best blinds are built using only your surroundings and a good pruning saw
893camouflage-thumb[1].gif

I would say a stand, if its tall crp grass, i couldnt picture a guy shooting out of a blind. I've tried to sit in crp fields coyote hunting and i couldnt shoot more than 10 feet. course i guess it also depends what kind of grass? the 6 feet tall stuff of the 2 feet tall stuff ?
smile.gif

ground blinds have a lot going for them but I move around too much and I like to see whats walking around out of range also,If you can us both.

Definitely depends on how tall the grass is.If it has any real hight to it at all I would NOT use a ground blind because I would rather be able to see out across it and see better if you hit a deer as to where it is going.Blood trails are not easy to find in CRP so to get a visual would really help hence being in a stand........

Id go with whats the best option for killing the deer. If the trees are in the right postion then go with a stand in them first. However, if u think there is a better postion to set up in the grass than I would go with that. Make it about your best odds to kill a deer, not so much about convience to build a blind. If the grass isnt that tall, dig a hole down a couple of feet.

it's for bow hunting most of the time, may sit in it for a push shotgun, grass is tall, I am leaning for a blind, the property is a mile long, and only about 1/2 mile wide, and it runs along a hwy, last year I used a friends stand and every one drove by honked, and waved
has anyone ever found a animal in there blind?

Deer movement is key to the type of set up you use. If you pattern deer moving past a tree that you can get a hanger in then you hang a stand. If you have deer moving out in the crp with no trees in range then you need to fashion a ground blind. So the decision is based on the deer.

i had a similar situation last year. i am gonna use some plywood and build a blind big enough for me to sit and move around in right out in the field. deer are less bothered by a building they see all the time. i'll let ya know how it works.

Top Bottom