Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Toy Is Field Ready!

Seth

Well I finally got clearance to buy a 2 row planter. I've always wanted a J.D. 290 planter and about a month ago I finally got one. It had been sitting in a shed since the 80's but it had been heavily greased so all the moving parts were free. It needed some new parts and the tires were rotten. I ordered some parts from a J.D. dealer and the ones they couldnt get I got from a guy in Peosta, IA. A quick rummage thru the old tire pile in the back of the machine shed on our farm turned up two old tires off the narrow front of our IH 706. 2 tubes from Theissens and she's ready to roll! It came with a set of Lustran 20 cell corn plates. Talking with my grandpa about the planter he told me he used to use a J.D. 490 back in the day. Another rummage thru the machine shed turned up 2 sets of cast 16 cell corn plates and a set of 16 cell bean plates! It's adjustable from 42-30 inch rows so I narrowed it up to 30 inches. To the best of my knowledge I think its a 1953 model. Fixing up this old relic has been awesome and in the future I'd like to add on fertilizer hopppers, take it all apart and sand blast/ repaint the whole thing, but thats down the road yet. I'm going to do about an acre of corn this year in three different spots and I cant wait to start planting!

picture.php
[/IMG]

The planter sounds awesome. Sounds like you've got some options with your different plates. They sure are fun to plant/play with.

Top Bottom