Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non-Res Holiday?

gives relatives a chance to hunt together over the holidays, just another season that needs to go away!

Its a great season you can come home and hunt with relatives for $203.00 for a doe. Now thats a bargain.

doe management

Not sure why they would have this season either, just allow for management of does on a property like every other every state does, shouldn't need a holiday to manage a farm.

I'd hurry up and get skippy about it! Cause the " Coming to Iowa to shoot Doe's", is about to end!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:way::way::way::way:

Anyone that would pay $200.00 or $300.00 for a doe. Is not hunting does.

My dad does every year. It's more about me and him getting a chance to get out and hunt together, since we live 550 miles apart. My job keeps me tied here so much, it's hard for me to get back home, and since he is retired, he comes up and hunts with me. Yep, it cost him 450 bucks to come shoot 1 doe.

My dad does every year. It's more about me and him getting a chance to get out and hunt together, since we live 550 miles apart. My job keeps me tied here so much, it's hard for me to get back home, and since he is retired, he comes up and hunts with me. Yep, it cost him 450 bucks to come shoot 1 doe.

Nanny,

I hope you and your dad have a great time hunting. :way:

He should be able to hunt with you for less than that.

I agree 100% I also agree that the NR tags are a bit too high. I also believe a NR landowner should get lower priced doe tags to manage their ground. I do believe however, the cap of any sex tags should remain the same.

I agree. As someone who has family that I grew up hunting with that live in another state I completely agree. I think that people forget that not all non-residents are here chasing monster bucks, or buying anterless tags to find a loop hole in the system. Some people just want to come and hunt with their family and friends.

I have a brother-in-law that is sitting on three preference points, because he can't afford the $550 archery license. I also understand the reasoning for the quotas and fees. It is a tough situation for some people and their families and hunting buddies.

nanny/dkt: After spending some time in Iowa this fall, I see both sides of this issue. As a NR I would like to see cheaper tags, I don't necessarily feel that more tags is the answer, but management tags (where needed) reasonably priced and available to a NR landowner would go a long ways toward managing a farm...and I see where this is a win-win for Iowa residents that have family come back home to hunt, or if they want to hunt with their family.

As a NR of course I understand the R point of view as well, more tags means more property bought up. I think there is a way to do it, with keeping the limit at 6,000 anysex tags. Just offer landowner doe tags, and do away with these special seasons (such as NR holiday). Offer the tags at a somewhat reasonable price.

(Note: I am aware that NR can buy a shotgun tag, but it is $353) I'm talking about an all season doe tag, or multiple doe tags if you own a farm of 40 or 80 acres or more, whatever that cutoff might be.

Nanny,

I hope you and your dad have a great time hunting. :way:

My thoughts exactly Risto! I have a friend from Wisconsin that I will be spending a few days hunting with this holiday season. Will be nice to hunt with him a couple of days this year.

Simply a case of supply and demand, more so in the case of a buck tag. If no one bought the tags they would have to make them cheaper to find the right price point.

The holiday tags that some of our relatives have bought in the past were only available if there were leftovers in the quota, and they weren't $203. They were $50 plus the NR had to have a small game license. Since our family had already been down bird hunting and had that license, it was only and additional $50. For my 2 cents, if it gave someone a chance to spend a few hours out there searching for a doe between Christmas and New Years' with their family, it's a great deal :way:

NWBuck

NR

Simply a case of supply and demand, more so in the case of a buck tag. If no one bought the tags they would have to make them cheaper to find the right price point.

If I knew how to post a link, I would post a recent graph that shows the NR demand has slowed considerably in the past two years and has resulted in lost revenue for the Iowa DNR. The number of licenses (6000) is the same, but the preference points/unsuccessful applicants (@$50 a crack) is way down so there revenue was down.

Because of this, they were considering a price reduction on tags for NR.

Top Bottom