Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

non resident deer help

guys,
I'm looking to hunt Iowa in 2013. I have 3 points. I hunt archery, gun and muzzleloader. Can anyone point me to some good public hunting ground?
I'm a working class guy who really does not have alot of extra cash for an outfitter. I LOVE to hunt and would really enjoy Iowa and all it has to offer. Not looking for anyone's honey hole, just a place where I would have an opportunity at an Iowa giant.
Thanks guys,
joe

Joe,
Looks like you'll probably be getting your archery tag this coming season. Of course having your own private piece is a plus but unless your familiar with the ground and know it doesn't get much pressure you'll almost just as well off to hunt the public ground in Iowa! Just simple mathematics with the amount of hunters in the woods, not like Ohio, Missouri etc. which are loaded with hunters.
Case in point, I was just out at my land for shotgun seasons and spent 2 weeks chasing off trespassers while the entire 2 weeks I only saw 3 total trucks parked at the public ground just up the road. Not saying private ground isn't better especially if you know that the owner isn't leasing it to other hunters too, just that folks get so determined to hunt private ground that much of the public is often over looked. Sorry, not going to tell which pieces exactly but I've seen the same situations in Jefferson, Van Burren, Wapello Davis counties etc...
If you've got 3 points I'd definitely be applying for bow tags since you don't need all those points for shotgun or muzzy, otherwise you'd be wasting points so to speak, just my opinion.
Either way, good luck and I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Check out Yellow River Forest units in Allamakee county. Some big bucks running around up there and a ton of public area to choose from. A guy should be able to get away from other hunters during bow season. Shotgun season gets busier but if a guy is willing to get off the beaten path and walk a bit you can get away from the crowd.

There's some good ground down around Eldon, Iowa. Its in the southeast part of the state in Wapello/Davis county. I live right by there and hunt there some even though I have my own farm simply because its such a good spot. Lots of 150+ deer in there, and I've seen some over 180. Get in shape and get a climbing stand, you'll wanna walk where the casual hunter doesn't go and the climbing stand will give you an awesome advantage.

Unless the public land across the river is better than my area east of Eldon,,which it may be? Eldon,,, would not be my first destination.

Top Bottom