Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November Antlerless Season

blake

Life Member
As everyone is aware the November Antlerless Season licenses went on sale Nov. 15th, in the counties that have antlerless licenses remaining. This antlerless only deer season runs Nov. 28th, 29th and 30th.

Many hunters have various opinions on their thoughts about this Nov. Season.

Some think that by implementing this season it stirs up and educates the deer making it more difficult for the Shotgun Hunters on Dec 1st to harvest deer. The DNR states "shotgun hunters take the majority of antlerless deer in the State of Iowa". So why the Nov hunt when the goal of the DNR is to reduce the current deer herd to the early 1990’s census.

Others think it is a great season for deer hunters to get together and harvest some antlerless deer.

Some bow hunters believe having gun hunters in the woods while there are still bow hunting is a safety issue.

One must also assume that the Iowa DNR has uses for the additional revenue from the sale of the Nov. Antlerless Tags.

Please post your thoughts on the November Antlerless Season.

Not really hunting it because my county ran out of tags. But me and a few guys planned on a midnight run to wally world to get them. I was very dissapointed when the hundred plus tags sold the final few days.
Anyway that season is a blast. We did it 3 years ago and have been waiting to do it again.
No pressure to hold out for a buck just run around and have a good time with some friends and smoke some skin heads.

I'm interested to see why people think this season needs to stop? Is it because it screws up 3 days of bowhunting? I hunt a property that has tons of does that need to be shot on it. This is a good season to get out there with my bow and ML and shoot some doe's.

Never have done it, but why stop it? Take it as a blessing that we have so many seasons to hunt in Iowa, and I dont see it ruining shotgun season, you have six weeks of gun seasons coming up so three days wont hurt any of the deer drives other than on public you might see 35 does come by on a drive than 45. So i say go hunting, and good luck!
Also I'd bow hunt during gun season if we could, Im on private land so why should I have to stop bow hunting?

I'd rather see it in Nov. than in Jan when there are so many shed bucks. I have hunted the Jan doe season but I try to be real carefull not to shoot bucks. Nov. hunt doesn't bother me. But I don't hunt it.

Anybody know how many Nov. antlerless tags sold? Is there anyway to check the date that a county sold out of their tags?

As far as doing away with the season, does the term "unintended consequences" come to mind? Do away with this season and who do you think the budget guys at the DNR will turn to kill more does?

The November antlerless season will be self limiting over time. When the herd reaches the desired number per county, there won’t be any tags left in that county by Nov. 15th. So the hunt should die away except for those county’s with large quotas, and large sanctuaries.

The 'Bonker

Corner your local game warden and ask their opinion ... my guess is you would hear an overwhelming response as to why the season should be discontinued.

My local CO was literally overwhelmed this weekend with violations of hunters shooting bucks during this season.

RIDGERUNNERS said:
"Also I'd bow hunt during gun season if we could, I'm on private land so why should I have to stop bow hunting?"

I felt the same way until someone shot on the neighboring property yesterday morning: sounded way too loud, way too close. Made me wonder just what the heck I was doing out there.

OneCam posted: "My local CO was literally overwhelmed this weekend with violations of hunters shooting bucks during this season."

I heard one shot, then another an hour later. Made me want to walk over to the property line and check if I could see anyone (and to see what they were dragging).

I don't care for this season too much. It "enables" bad things to happen whether intentional, or not. But, I am lucky since all counties around me sold out of the antlerless tags before November 15th.

i have particiapated in this season and if it is not abused, i really dont have a problem with it, however, i highly doubt this season will ever be discontinued. thats the bad thing about deer seasons, once they are started then VERY RARElY get discontinued.... if ever...

I got a tag for Washington County and went down to Sockum Ridge park. Unfortunetly I had an unsuccessful hunt all 3 days.

Friday the only deer I saw was around 4pm, I saw a 8 pointer with the right half of his rack busted off. No other deer the rest of the day.

Saturday I jumped a nice 6 pointer. Alot of good that does during a doe season.

Sunday, I saw 1 coyote running through the woods. He didn't see me, but the brush was too thick and I didn't have a clean shot. Lots of possums running around. I was out in the sleet all day Sunday. Soaking wet and very cold by the end of the day and only saw one doe mid afternoon that came to drink, and she was behind so much brush no chance at a shot.

There were not to many other hunters out. Farmer still had corn standing in the field, and one field was harvested, and one of the machines was so loud you couldn't hear a thing. I didn't even see any deer when I was driving down the road home. Big bummer.

I think this season is retarded. Last year I was sitting in a tree when a group decided to push the ground I was on. Deer went ballistic and then it sounded like a war with all the shooting, I was scared for my life for a few seconds. You'd think that a truck parked in the driveway would MAYBE make people think twice about pushing a block.

Yes, I realize I'm biased.

Top Bottom