Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR IA deer harvest - one example

OrionWhitetails

I've been reading posts to this website for years and a majority of the posts that are related to the many non-resident issues discussed include quotes like the following... "non-residents are all trophy hunters," "non-residents don't care to harvest does, they are only interested in big bucks," etc., etc.

Well, the above quotes are definitely NOT true in our case. Our group of hunters (18, including 14 non-residents)have harvested the following numbers of bucks and does dating back to the 1996 hunting season...

1996 - no deer harvested
1997 - 2 does, 0 bucks
1998 - 10 does, 1 buck
1999 - 8 does, 2 bucks
2000 - 13 does, 0 bucks
2001 - 12 does, 6 bucks
2002 - 18 does, 4 bucks
2003 - 33 does, 4 bucks
2004 - 24 does, 6 bucks
2005 (to date) - 15 does, 2 bucks

10-year total = 135 does & 25 bucks for a ratio of 5.4 does/buck.

Obviously, not all non-resident hunters are only interested in harvesting trophy bucks!

Guys, I am originally from Iowa where I grew up with a love for the outdoors and a passion for hunting whitetails WITH family and friends. Yes, I return to Iowa every year to hunt deer, but the REAL reason I come "home" is to hunt with family and friends. I'm not rich, but I will always be willing to pay whatever the price is for a non-resident tag, just so I can have the opportunity to spend time in the deer woods with my Dad (I hope he still has a lot of deer seasons left in him!) and my brother!

Best,

OrionWhitetails

Orionwhitetails, I hope things never change so much that former Iowa residences can't come home and hunt with family. We residents do get a little protective about the NR issues and I believe most of it has to do with the fear of lose because of commercialization of the sport and big dollar over ruling resident hunters interests. I personally think they should implement some kind of Sons and Daughters of Iowans tags with lower fees. Your group is doing a great job with doe control. Most of us here are not anti NR's we just don't want to see the sport we love get out of reach for the average hunter and become something largely for the privileged.

Orion,
Glad to see you are able to come back and enjoy hunting in Iowa. I know I enjoy being in the Kingsville/Sarita area when ever I can get the chance. One of these days I'm gonna get one of those crafty old Nilgae. I feel sorry for you NR's that have to pay that amount to come here and hunt. Hope this latest price increase coming with the antlered tags doesn't ruin anything for you or your family in the future. Best of luck!!

O.W, Thanks with the help with the deer herd! As a lifelong resident of Iowa and a landowner I guess I would expect no less if all Non- Residents were Trophy hunters. The cost for NR. tags here and just about every other state are getting ludicrous to say the least.The vast majority of NR. are not hunting the big buck states to relive their childhood. They pay big bucks they want big results, and for most a doe just ain't going to get it! The price for NR. and resident alike will never ever be less than it is right now. As far as the Trophy mindset, well we got enough of that right here in the resident population for all 50 states. For residents of Iowa to complain about NR. Trophy hunters is ridiculous!

The problem with the NR tag is that if the NR is coming to Iowa he is coming to hunt Bucks and with only 1 deer allowed on the tag - who is going to shoot a doe until the last minute of the last day you are there as you are always hoping a good buck will come by and in Iowa - dreams do come true and they do come by. While not being thrilled with the new proposal of the additional $100 for the doe tag - I'll support it and shoot a doe now. Myself and 4 buddies hunted in Missouri this year since we did not draw Iowa and took 3 does and 1 buck. Last year on a 3 day hunt in Maryland we took 6 does and no bucks. Non residents will take does if given the tags to do so.

Orion - I know what Ironwood and Tracker wrote already would cover my feelings pretty well and I think they probably did a good job of representing the greatest share of all resident's feelings towards NR's. While there are certainly exceptions to be found, it is my impression that 98%+ feel similarly. I don't think residents are as anti-NR as they are anti-"changing the face of Iowa deer hunting as we know it". It so happens that the number of NR tags allowed annually is one of the fulcrums in this many-sided issue so "feelings" come out on that subject more than others.

Also, your group looks to be doing a great job of herd management and you should be sincerely congratulated for that. But let's face it, most NR's are not coming to Iowa for does, they just aren't. I have yet to see an add for an outfitter that features pictures of does, etc. It is the opportunity for trophy bucks that is driving the behaviors we all have our opinions about.

To me it is just too bad that more states cannot seem to manage their herd enough to produce enough trophy bucks that more people would be happy to hunt "at home" instead of "flooding" a select few states creating an inbalance of sorts.

A good friend and former resident comes to hunt with friends and family each year. He is lucky and has drawn a tag each of the last 3-4 years since moving to out of state but has skipped the bow tag option knowing full well that his odds of drawing each year go way down. He too comes back for the yearly thing that is almost a tradition. But, he also is after the big bucks. That said, how many of us are not (residents included)? He will help the others in his group shoot some mature does and will put his NR anysex tag on one on the last day if needed. Fear of losing what we have? Fear of ruining a good thing? Pure selfishness? Don't get it wrong, most of us residents welcome having NRs here but most of us also support some of the restrictions and limitations that you get.

Also, great trail cam photos! Thanks for sharing them!

[ QUOTE ]
I personally think they should implement some kind of Sons and Daughters of Iowans tags with lower fees.

[/ QUOTE ] Sign me up!
laugh.gif

Top Bottom