Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

off topic question for anyone from Cedar Rapids

Tomo

My house along the Missouri river in SD has been completely flooded for 2 months now and will stay that way for who knows how long. The housing area that I live in has 56 homes of which only 2 are not under water. (the big, fancy houses in the back are not part of ours). Someone was telling me that the government may step in and do a "volunteer buyout" on the flooded homes like they did in Cedar Rapids.

Is anyone on here familiar with that or was a part of it? I do have flood insurance but I would rather not rebuild there.

My house is the green roof dome home fifth from the left.

Thanks,
Pat

20110629_082_std.jpg

Tomo, sorry for your loss. I don't live in CR but almost every night there are items on the news about the flood three years ago. The buy out for some has been a nightmare but for others has been a blessing. It seems to be a FEMA issue and from what I see on the news it is random as to how the buy out may or may not effect you. Long story short, don't hold your breath on the buy out and do your due dilligence before agreeing to anything.

Good luck.

I don't live there either, but grew up not too far from there. I had a friend that lost their house...the buyout was a long drag and they didn't come out of it very well. They had just rebuilt some of their home, and got jacked around because those upgrades hadn't been included in a re-assessement so they essentially lost the $20k they had invested. They eventually received a buyout, but it wasn't at market value. ALSO, they did NOT have flood insurance. Their situation was a, "you can't live here anymore and this is what we're going to do for you" kind of thing.

I hope your results are better...but with FEMA involved, I have my doubts. I'm sorry for your loss, it looks like your home was nestled in a really nice spot. Wish you the best of a terrible situation.

Top Bottom