Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pheasant rebound…

That forecast shows me a hard ice crust over the snow pile that we have now. Not good but I hope I'm way wrong.

Had a good hunt in western iowa the last weekend of season. Been a long time since I have been on a pheasant hunt in IA and was good to see the bird recovery.

E3245EE9-ED07-44FD-ABD1-A68E7E6696A5.jpeg

I spoke with a guy in Western IA and he said there’s pheasants all over in the fields and close to the road. Need to get a warm up soon ! They can be tough birds—a couple 40 degree days would be helpful!

I spoke with a guy in Western IA and he said there’s pheasants all over in the fields and close to the road. Need to get a warm up soon ! They can be tough birds—a couple 40 degree days would be helpful!
Yes it looks like warm up next week. But they still need food.if we get a early spring they will do ok if winter is extended late in the spring that will be really hard on them. And that’s what kills them .

That is a bummer ! How much snow did they get ??

Not sure how much NW Iowa got. We got 21” in central Iowa last week and getting 3 more today.

Next week kinda looks promising for the birds but at the same time we are supposed to get rain. Freezing temps at night is going to cause a crust on the snow that’s going to be brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how much NW Iowa got. We got 21” in central Iowa last week and getting 3 more today.

Next week kinda looks promising for the birds but at the same time we are supposed to get rain. Freezing temps at night is going to cause a crust on the snow that’s going to be brutal.
In my experience, the birds can withstand even brutal temps and conditions like we have had for the past 8 days...provided there is some relief in the form of being able to get to food, etc, and it doesn't go on and on. BUT...an ice covering on this much snow...that is NOT GOOD, not good at all.

I remember a time way back, I think during the early '80's where we had very good numbers of birds for several years running and then the winter included a bunch of ice and the next year birds were VERY scarce, where they had been plentiful previously.

The wind blew this snow so hard there is almost none on the high spots, bare dirt showing in a lot of bean fields.

I saw a small bunch of pheasants out feeding this afternoon on the way home from work.

I was out on a farm last week a couple days after the temps got above 15 or so and the roads were fine and saw a bunch of pheasants. Granted, this farm had great native marshy cover for them but they were definitely doing fine there.

• Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: Double
Show…
Awesome pics Curtis ! Need this weather to stay nice !

Thanks, nice weather is definitely helping them. If you go by the old wives’ tale of precipitation 90 days after fog. It’s not looking good for nesting season. But for now they are appreciating the corn and scratch grains.

That's awesome, wish I could get some on our farm in MO. Wonder if stocking works to get a wild pop started? Studies seem to show it does not with quail.

That's awesome, wish I could get some on our farm in MO. Wonder if stocking works to get a wild pop started? Studies seem to show it does not with quail.
Interested in this as well. Used to have a few wild ones years ago, but haven't heard one in years. I put in 25ac of CP2 this past spring, which I think would be large enough for at least a couple to live in. Nothing yet

Very similar to quail- unless chicks are raised in the wild, by a wild hen that can teach them survival instincts then they are doomed from above by raptors and at eye level by fox, bobcats, coyotes, etc. Habitat is #1, predator control is #2. Weather (especially spring nesting season) can also make or break ground nesting bird pops but we can't control that.

Top Bottom