Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

plot help

Buck-Man

Gonna plant this weekend.
Winter rye and white clovers. Im gonna broadcast the winter rye but should soil be a alittle loose ?then cultipack? then broadcast clover then culti again?

I would plant spring oats rather than winter rye, but yes. The oats or rye need to be planted deeper than the clover? I usually plant the rye and then disc in and then spread clover and cultipack the clover.

What is the advantage to planting the oats or rye with the clover?

I am getting ready to mow and disc a 2.5 acre plot for clover and cant decide what to plant with it or if i should split the field into two separate patches and maybe plant brassicas or corn or what else.

You shouldn't plant any brassicas until mid to late july or later. They will just rot in the field. Most deer don't like brassicas until they have been frozen a few times by frost. Go to dbltree and read his plot advise. When I plant clover it usually doesn't sprout until the ground is mid 50s temps so it helps as a cover crop. In my opinion, I have a couple plots of that size. I have clover in the middle and then I rotate winter rye and brassicas on the ends. That way I have food in the late season when I am hunting and clover for during the summer. My deer are eating the rye right now as It is coming up and you could probably til the brassicas up in the spring and plant something else until you plant rye in late august or early september. I learned everything from dbltree. He is the resident expert and a God in my book for planting food plots.

Top Bottom