Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

plot spike oats

TallTines

Anyone ever used these before?

I have heard that they last far, far longer into the season than any other oat. I heard it once and passed it off as some good luck someone must have had with it on one farm but since then I have heard from different credible sources about how long it lasts and how it's attracting way more deer than any other plot they have.

Have I been searching for the holy grail of food plots too hard or is there some truth behind some of this. I'm sure someone on here can put the rubber to the road on this matter.

One guy told me these oats stayed green till mid dec. Not sure i believe that but if true....wow.

If you read thru my cereal grain thread you'll see that plain old spring oats stayed green into that same time frame and deer grazed heavily on them while ignoring BFO oats.

The only way to test these claims is to test them side by side against a common spring oat like Jerry oats and winter rye.

I have never seen deer ignore field rye and it lasts ALL winter not just into December.

personally I have tested all kinds and types of "brand seeds" against common quality seed and have found most of the big name ads to be nothing more then a hoax! They prey upon unsuspecting hunters and easily convince them that their product will insure you a "monster buck"....nonsense!!

try Frank Forage oats from Welters if you want a great grazing oats for a fraction of the cost...;)

dbl,

I had fields of rye last year with very poor results. The deer just didn't care for them that much. I also had frank oats last year that dried up at the end of oct. The deer loved them when they were green but as soon as they started to dry up they stopped eating them.
I am now looking for other alternatives to what did not work well on my farm.
If any oats get to dec. for me I think that would be perfect for bowhunting.

dbl,

I had fields of rye last year with very poor results. The deer just didn't care for them that much. I also had frank oats last year that dried up at the end of oct. The deer loved them when they were green but as soon as they started to dry up they stopped eating them.
I am now looking for other alternatives to what did not work well on my farm.
If any oats get to dec. for me I think that would be perfect for bowhunting.

Curious when you planted them? I've never had oats dry up? Then again I have never seen deer not mow my field rye to the ground either. Both farms, no matter what kind of food sources are near by, they grub the field rye right to the dirt.

The Jerry oats lasted into shotgun season and they sure loved those as well! :)

I got 3-25# bags of plotspike oats for $7 a piece, gonna put them on my current plots this spring with berseem for a plowdown in july and august for the dbltree combo ... got the oats for about the same price as Jerry here in lancaster pa, we'll see if it was a deal or not ...

Top Bottom