Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poison Oak

TH,

Don't post much but had to chime in. PREDNISONE!!!!

Go to the Doc and get a prescription for it. I have got poison oak 3 years in a row now and for some reason I keep thinking these over the counter things will work.

After about a week of misery I break down and go to the doctor who says the same thing everytime....why did you wait so long.....

Anyway get a prescription for prednisone. Stuff will be cleared up in 3 days.

I will say it one more time....quit screwing around and go to the doc and get some prednisone!!!! :grin:

Poison Oak and Poison Ivy

Just a FYI,,,once you get poison ivy or poison oak you will be susceptible to getting it again and again. I can speak from experience.

The worst story I have heard was a guy that was very allergic to it. He burnt up some grass clippings (which had poison ivy in it...little did he know) in his backyard fire pit. He inhaled some smoke and got an infection in his lungs. So be careful as you sound very allergic to it!!:(

As previously mentioned, get the shot and a dose pack. If you have it on 80% of your body you will have a long fight with over the counter creams. I feel for you!

About a month ago I thought I had poison oak and it was spreading up my legs every night but I wasn't itching it. I woke up one night to a bunch of tiny and I mean tiny bugs crawling up my legs. I somehow got some off and washed them off with a quick shower.

They turned out to be seed ticks, I hot them from another tick laying a seed in my and it hatched. The seed ticks will actually not stay attached for long. They usually bite on for 5 minutes then go to a different and do the same. I thought it was poison oak because it was bubbling up.

I'm not saying you got these but, there's still a chance.

This is one of the WORST sounding things i have ever heard of!! YUCK!

The Dr. appt is a good idea by the sounds of it. Short version...I fooled around with a combination of poison ivy and chigger bites a few years back and let it progress to the point I spent the night in the hospital with an IV of antibiotics and then had to come back two consecutive days for IV's as an outpatient. I was also prescribed prednisone and while that really helped clear things up, there are some potential side effects that are best avoided in the first place.

I have been far more careful in avoiding it since that time and thankfully have pretty much stayed out of it. But it is not to be dismissed, it can quickly become a serious health problem. Good luck.

TH,

Don't post much but had to chime in. PREDNISONE!!!!

Go to the Doc and get a prescription for it. I have got poison oak 3 years in a row now and for some reason I keep thinking these over the counter things will work.

After about a week of misery I break down and go to the doctor who says the same thing everytime....why did you wait so long.....

Anyway get a prescription for prednisone. Stuff will be cleared up in 3 days.

I will say it one more time....quit screwing around and go to the doc and get some prednisone!!!! :grin:

x2. Prednisone will clear it up in a day or 2 tops for me.

If it's really bad, prednisone BUT.... If you get that, REQUEST Betamethasone Cream!!! Do not forget this. It's a prescription steroid cream that is the BEST. Can't hurt doing above as well and I'm sure some of those are great things too.

My son just got over a two week battle with this stuff and the only thing that cleared it up for him was the steroid cream mentioned above. The doc was nice enough to prescribe us a whole bunch in case he or anyone else gets it again. The Zanfel didn't do a thing for him. I felt so bad for him, because there was nothing we could do. I definitely recommend the steroid cream. Hopefully you get it cleared up soon.

Posion Oak/Ivy has never bothered me for some reason. Since I was a little kid I was in it, maybe grew an eminity to it or something? I've never had to go to the Doc or anything for it. This year I walked in a BUNCH of posion Ivy and nothing happend.

Posion Oak/Ivy has never bothered me for some reason. Since I was a little kid I was in it, maybe grew an eminity to it or something? I've never had to go to the Doc or anything for it. This year I walked in a BUNCH of posion Ivy and nothing happend.

Yeah my friends dad can get into it and it doesn't faze him at all.

About 10-20% of the population will have no reaction to poison ivy/oak. (end here if you don't want details).

The reaction is called delayed hypersensitivity, Type IV. This is the same kind of reaction you have when you get a TB test; it is mediated by T lymphocytes. You to have prior exposure; the first time you get it you will have no reaction. Some people just don't have the right type of T lymphocyte response to get the reaction.

Brian

About 10-20% of the population will have no reaction to poison ivy/oak. (end here if you don't want details).

The reaction is called delayed hypersensitivity, Type IV. This is the same kind of reaction you have when you get a TB test; it is mediated by T lymphocytes. You to have prior exposure; the first time you get it you will have no reaction. Some people just don't have the right type of T lymphocyte response to get the reaction.

Brian

Yay, I'm in the 10-20% :p

Just got back from the Dr. said this was the worst case he has seen in several years.... and he asked me why the 'H' I waited... I told him I was a tough guy at his breaking point about to take Chicken's advice and set myself on fire....

Looking forward to relief... I hope I never get hemorrhoids, cause this friggen sucks........

To all of the young men, with apparent poison ivy/oak immunity... A word of warning from an old fart...:D

I too was virtually immune to effects of poison ivy when I was young man, and as such, I didn't take any care whether I exposed myself to it or not. Well in my late 30's I found out that my immunity had faded away. (I am now in my late 40's.)

Whether I hastened the loss of my poison ivy immunity by being reckless in my younger years or not I cannot say for sure, but I have read that is possible or even likely that repeated exposures will lead to less resistance over time. I can only say for sure that I "never" got it up through my early 30's and now I am just about afraid to look at the stuff for fear of getting a rash. :D

If I knew then though what I know now I would have protected myself from it much better so as to hopefully extend my immunity. Because once you start being susceptible to it, there's no going back and it can really be a bearcat to deal with when/if you have a bad case.

I never had it until I was about 20 (6 years ago). Got a bunch on my arms that summer and have had it two more time since. If you do get it, and if it's bad, GO TO THE DOCTOR! Not just to get the right stuff for relief, but if it is bad enough it can get in your blood stream and REALLY cause some major issues.

Also, wash the crap out of any clothes and tools that you were wearing or using when you got the stuff. The oil from the plants can stay on tools for a LONG time and still be potent. Either wash your clothes or in my case when I got into it this summer, I just threw the clothes I was wearing in the trash.

I don't know how good it is for you, but one excellent way to relieve the itch for awhile is to take a HOT shower. The hot water will give you an amazing sensation of itching the area for you, but will also last for a few hours afterward. I would run hot water over mine before I went to bed and again first thing in the morning. And I mean HOT, almost to the point of not being able to stand it. But like I said, not sure if its a doctor recommended thing to do, but it sure does work.

Did you get some steroids? That's the only thing that will take care of a case that is as bad as yours. (Trust me, I know. Poison ivy makes you look about the same.)

Used to get it as a kid all the time, in JR High I got poison Oak ( Here in Iowa) back then they would not give you anything but steroid cream. Once it was gone they gave me a shot of a thick / cold stuff I don't know what it was but I did not have Poison Ivy again until I hit 40, I have had it every year since. Got the steroid shot last year.

Doc told me poison ivy will not spread but there may be places on your body that take longer to show up or got less of the oil on it.

Chiggers will also give you a delayed reaction, I would rather have PI than a bunch of chigger bites.

BOWDUDE

Hot water directly on the itch, as hot as you can stand. Right before is starts to burn you will have the greatest feeling of relief you can imagine. After this, the itch will usually stay away for a while. I have done this since I was a kid for relief from poison ivy , chiggers, athletes foot and everything in between. It basically feels exactly like itching it without the negative side effects.

Got my worst case of this crap going on right now. Spent some time on stand work Sunday and was more concerned about dealing with the heat than thinking about adequate coverage and my hands-arms are paying for it right now. Sucks.

I have this shiz covering 80% of my body and it seems to be spreading.... I'd post pix but this is a family site... :grin: It is so miserable I can't even explain it....

Anyone know why its spreading and why it won't go away? Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Bleach????

I wanna slam my head in a car door right now...

Almost positive poisen oak isn't present in Iowa. Good bet you ran into poisen sumac. Get it almost every summer, lasts for2 weeks and its hell.

Top Bottom