Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Primos DB rod ends/pivot balls UPDATED

Fishbonker

Life Member
I have a rod that is coming out of the ball in the cam/hub. I called Primos/DB to ask how to fix it. They just said glue it back in. They offered to send me new balls (don’t even go there) and I figured why not. A couple of days later the envelope showed up with my new balls (stop thinking what you are thinking). The thing is, my new balls (you are pathetic) are plastic and the ones in the hubs are metal. I haven’t taken the hub apart yet to be sure they are metal, but I’ve put this rod back in the ball enough to think it is metal.

Do you guys with the new Dark Horses have plastic rod ends or are they metal? I really don’t wanna use the plastic ones, I just can’t see them lasting. Does anybody with any old DB have plastic rod ends?

Thanks.

The ‘Bonker

Re: Primos DB rod ends/pivot balls

sounds like you need different balls......
(and im not thinking it.....) /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

i have a couple broken rods after this weekend, so i will be checking out how well their customer service has stood up to the change in name......

You Said "broken rods" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Sorry about your busted balls Bonker. I haven't had that problem so can't offer advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a couple broken rods after this weekend</div></div>

THA$, Wasn't this the weekend the wife was going with? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

The Darkhorse is metal, one of mine broke this weekend as well. Basically my hunting partner tripped getting into the blind sending the blind over end and him on top of it with enough force to break metal. It still works well, just need to replace it sooner or later.

All of my balls(I'm pathetic) are plastic. Two of them broke in my blind on my first trip to the timber. They sent new ones with a brief letter explaining what the problem might be. They suggest that the 1" strap in the center of the main shooting window may be too tight. Too much stress on that strap makes for more stress on the hubs, which causes the balls to break. Myself, I think something other than plastic would have been a better choice. Anyway, new balls and I am back up and running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THA$, Wasn't this the weekend the wife was going with? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif </div></div>

ahhhh
(cough, cough)
ummmmmm

yes it was......

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I just got off the phone with Primos/DB. I told them I had metal pivot balls and asked if the plastic ones would work. I was assured they would. I didn't ask about longevity. Then I told the guy I had stripped out the head of the phillips screw that holds the round plate on the hub. I was kinda suprised that I did that becuase muddy had one of the plates fall off last year. I asked the guy if they put loctite on the screws and wouldn't you know it, they do. He advised to tap on the end of the screw driver to help break the loctite bond. I told him I'd just go to the hardware store and pick up another screw. I asked him for the diminsions of the screw and he didn't know. I think he was on the verg of offering to send a screw or two but I said I'd just take the old screw to the store to match it up. They shouldn't be responsible for my "scew" up.

So when you go to replace your rod and balls (what did I say before about thinkin like that?)be sure you have the correct size phillips head screwdriver (#1 I think) and smack the end of it with a hammer to try and break the bond. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to use a vise grip or one of those new ez-outs that fit over the head of the screw. But that is a job for another day. Preferabley when it is a little warmer out.

Oh yeah, I used the number THA4 used (800-523-2395) and when Will starts his speal I just hit "0" and ask for customer service. I got right through this time.

The 'Bonker

good to hear things worked out with replacing your old worn out rod and balls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good to hear things worked out with replacing your old worn out rod and balls. </div></div>

well when you get to be his age.....
I mean, glad you got her worked out Bonks!

Ummmm, I ain't got er worked out. I quit when I stripped the screw head. I still gotta lotta screwin to do. Once again, read it like I mean it and don't put a proverted spin on it.

Filthy minds.

The 'Bonker

Come on Bonker. Clear out the Living room and set that thing up so you can work on it inside. Nice and warm and dry. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come on Bonker. Clear out the Living room and set that thing up so you can work on it inside. Nice and warm and dry. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dean </div></div>

I don't think he has the balls. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iabowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come on Bonker. Clear out the Living room and set that thing up so you can work on it inside. Nice and warm and dry. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dean </div></div>

I don't think he has the balls. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

If he doesn't have them, chances are his wife is holding on to them for him in her purse. Too bad about your balls being plastic Bonk, mine are made of steel. Only downside is that they clank together every once in a while when I'm walking in to hunt somewhere. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Was worried about their customer service cuz i tore my Dark Horse in Kansas. Called the place where I got it from and he called DB and had a new one sent in 2 days. Switched it out no questions asked. Very easy. I would suggest anyone that has a problem talk to the place they got it first. A lot of times they carry spare parts and will switch them out without the hassle of calling the main company.

Question about the Dark Horse. Ordered mine from Cabelas, kind of surprised that it didn't come with ground stakes. Wasn't a big deal as I just used metal tents stakes that I had. Just wondering when you guys got your dark horse, did it come with ground stakes?

Top Bottom