Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Lands

D&D Flesheaters

Owner of D&D Flesheaters
I have heard about the great public lands that Iowa has to offer. I am curious to know how hard these lands are hunted, especially the ones around Allamakee county. If there are people that know about or have hunted these areas do you know what has been killed in the area?

Thanks,

RustyHunter

Boy did you hear wrong. For one thing, there are hardly any deer in Allamakee county. And the few that are there get run off the public ground and shot right away, so it's not even worth hunting there........
evil.gif
............Just kidding.

Try French Creek area. Big area, big woods. Not sure how hard it gets hunted during shotgun but there are many Public area's that are under hunted during bow season. There are lots of big hills and bluffs in NE Iowa that can play havoc with the thermals making for a difficult hunt at times but there are some big deer there for the same reason. Good Luck

I used to hunt Shimek State Forest in SE Iowa (circa 1983). I went during the gun season and it was a little busy to say the least. I bet if you bow hunted it would be a much different experience. My friend and I did harvest some nice deer down there.

My experience with the public ground in Iowa is that you will always run into someone, and especially during the shotgun seasons there are usually LARGE groups of guys that will push through whether they see you sitting there or not. I don't know if that is any different than in other places.

ive never hunter down around there but i know of some guys that hunt it and they have harvested a few nice ones and yet to say the least if u see guy pushing it. cuz the smart public deer just make a circle about 4 yards from some one and follow the hunters to where ever they wanna go.. ive seen that in boone county..... ibh

Top Bottom