Question about Fertilizer

Bucksnbears

Gotta admit. I do the samo,same every year no matter what I plant.

My piece of Heaven is 1 mile from the RedRiver between Mn/ ND.

Arguably the best soils in the world.

I have 7 food plots . They are all about 1/10 th to 1/4 acre.

Have for years spread about a 5 gallon bucket of triple 19 on each.
No, I never have done a soil test.

My understanding is, there is 19 lbs of each per 100lbs. So that would be 57lbs of actual fertilizer per 100lbs.
What makes up the remainder of weight?
What am I missing about this and not understanding?

Last edited:
Yes. Ur spot on. Rock, salt, inert material etc make up the rest. Here’s an old vid I did on values, etc. Also- I’d highly suggest u throw out (without soil test) … sulfur, zinc, copper, Boron, etc. U are very likely low on several of those. Boron & sulfur id almost lay $ on it.

Thanks Skip.
That helped much,.
Boron,zink,sulfer,copper.
Where do you get that?

The farmers around here say our p.h. usually is above 7.
Never heard of anyone putting lime down around here.

3 ways…
1) coop that has regular fertilizer either has it in blends already (MESZ) for example. Or they can order it.
2) there’s liquid sprayable forms of it. I can post links if u need me to.
3) can order online & mix in… since it’s small amounts- it’s not hard.

The math makes things a little confusing for sure. Have often wondered why, when my soil test calls for 40# of p or k, why I can’t just go buy 40# of it like I do at the co op. Take the math right out of it for folks.

The math makes things a little confusing for sure. Have often wondered why, when my soil test calls for 40# of p or k, why I can’t just go buy 40# of it like I do at the co op. Take the math right out of it for folks.

Most co-ops and ag services actually operate this way. Tell them you want 0-40-0 or 0-0-40 for XX acres, and they blend accordingly.

Fertilizers are made as chemical compounds. If you are looking at the pounds of N (46) in urea, or carbamide, you will have the left over oxygen and carbon which makes up most if not all of the other 54. You can't buy straight N ( or P,K,S) without the rest of the formula's components.

Back