Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on a rape turnip planting??

ILL BUCK

First let me say that this place has to be one of the best spots for food plot information on the web!! You guys know how to do it right!

After reading the brassicas thread a number of times I think I have my game plan but wanted to check on a couple of things.

First I am going to plant a small test area of purple top turnips. My plan is to plant them alone and do it around the last of July/ first of August. I will be overseeding some into my corn plot too thanks to seeing Ironwoods success in doing so!

I am wanting to try some rape too this year (dwarf essex and bonar) and was wondering if it would be OK to plant the rape the last of August/ first of Sept. when I am going to be planting some Biologic outfitters blend (triticle/wheat/oats/AWP) ??

Or should I plan on planting the rape the same time as the turnips?? I am really wanting to mix the rape with the outfitters blend because I am planting a bigger area of the outfitters blend. If its to late to plant the rape then I will have to change my plans some.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

We planted a combination of rape and turnips on August 5th last year and got excellent results. It got about 30" tall and had good bulbs on the turnips. Planning on doing the same thing this year. We had a 1/2" rain before the planting and several nice rains after which always helps.

If you seed into standing corn you need to check on what herbicides were used to control the weeds in the corn. If they used a persistent herbicide you may not get a good germination of the rape/turnips. Roundup ready corn, where they used only roundup would be great.

Top Bottom