Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RAIN = BIGGER ANTLERS!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
This is fantastic start!!!!! Mild winter. Tons of moisture. Look at the “weeds” or clovers or whatever …. Their browse is lush, full and crazy tonnage. Seen countless years of super dry vs super wet. No doubt in my mind - if this holds up- this year be a crazy good year for bigguns. IMHO…. I’d say many deer this makes a 20-30” difference in potential from a crap growing year to a great one. Keep it coming!!!!

IMG_6567.jpeg

Last year I painfully & artificially watered the north half of this small plot just to keep all of the clover from dying off. It’s stunning how good it looks right now! I just put Alfagraze into the south half where the clover simply couldn’t take the heat and drought and died off. Hopefully it continues to rain and the deer benefit and make a good jump. And if it turns off dry, hopefully the alfalfa will make it this year.

Same here in PA, everything is growing like crazy! Should be a great year for mast crops, fruit and corn/beans and everything in between. Last time we had a bumper crop the following winter was brutal.

really interesting dynamic happening in the ag world around these parts. A ton of crops went in really early and nothing for last 3 weeks. No end in sight to rain. So going to have super early crops and super late crops.

Same. Lots of guys here in Mid MO trying to get one field in here and there.

Going to be a tough time figuring out when to combine due to all the differences in start timing..

really interesting dynamic happening in the ag world around these parts. A ton of crops went in really early and nothing for last 3 weeks. No end in sight to rain. So going to have super early crops and super late crops.
Our Clarke county farmers will adjust maturity according. Theres still plenty of time. Harvest will be same time as every year.

I’m loving this wet weather but it’s killing me at work, I manage a 120 acre sports complex. I don’t think I have ever seen the grass grow this hard, close to an inch a day.

Hoping for some good antlers this year, it’s been pretty rough the last couple around home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. I don’t think I have ever seen the grass grow this hard, close to an inch a day.

The rye a put out last Oct is now about 20" tall. Lol.
I can hear it grow!
Catch 22 is...., early planting and timely rains mean the crops get off early.

As a wildlife lover, / hunter, I always hope for a wet fall and some corn cant get harvested.
Even an extra week of good food way up here can make a difference in how deer can survive our brutal winters.
The deer here in a hard winer almost 100% relieve on crops or residue to survive.
Every deer within MILES will migrate to a sugarbeet field as long as it's near good cover around here.
Got off track, (drinking beer) lol.
Anywhoo, things are starting out here great.

I’m loving this wet weather but it’s killing me at work, I manage a 120 acre sports complex. I don’t think I have ever seen the grass grow this hard, close to an inch a day.

Hoping for some good antlers this year, it’s been pretty rough the last couple around home.

I’m trying to keep up mowing 3 properties and I’m struggling. Better than drought though any day.

El Nino is gone and LA Nina is taking over. I'd be surprised if we have a dry summer/fall. If wet = big antlers, there should be some nice ones down there. Here in Sask we want dry for big deer. It's near impossible for our deer population to overbrowse because our deer density is way too low.

Top Bottom