Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Recommendations for fall annual shot plot

crs740

What types of plantings have worked best for small 1/4 acre fall shot plots? What type of mixes have worked best? The area I am thinking of planting will only get 4-6 hours of suna day until leaves fall off. I was planning on planting around the beginning of Sept

I have 2, 1/4 - 1/2 acre fall plots. I put a mix of brassicas and oats in them and they get pounded. The brassicas will take 45 - 60 days to mature so I like to plant them early in August to be ready for the first couple of weeks of October. September 1st may be a bit late but probably ok depending on what we get for weather in Oct. I tilled them last weekend and put some Lime down to get them prepared for planting later. I will go back in August and till them again and plant the same day. This is one approach that works well, Im sure some of the other guys on here will have other suggestions as well. Good Luck :way:

Thanks for the recommendation. Any particular brassicas? WINA Winter Greens, forzen forage, etc?

I used Evolved Harvest's Shot Plot brassica/rape mix in a section about 30 yds long and 5 yds wide next to one of my stands that doesn't get much sun at all and it's coming along fine.. picture of it is in the 'Brassicas' thread

i saw that picture, it does look good. Did you till that or just clear the ground?

last year, I tilled it with one of those mantis tillers.... not recommended because it sucked with all of the twigs and what not plugging it up, and I had it planted with Biologic Maximum... That stuff worked real well also. This year, in that picture, I just used a rake and raked off the old leaves and debris and roughened the dirt up a little bit, broadcasted the seed and fertilizer and then compacted it with my 4 wheeler tires

If you do brassicas, hands down I think the Purple top turnips and ground hog radishes put all else to shame. That's a pretty small plot though. I'd fertilize the dickens out of it for sure!!! If you're concerned with it getting destroyed, think clover/winter rye/winter peas and some area of oats instead of winter rye.

Top Bottom