Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Red Cedar public hunting

As long as you don't mind a little leg work.....it is a great place!! Gotta get away from the parking areas! Not alot are willing to work for it!

My sisters ex boyfriend got shot in the head turkey hunting there several years ago by some kids that were turkey hunting and shot at a noise in the brush.. I've never been there but live real close

My good friend shot the guy in the above mentioned post. Different story from what I hear though. Who knows which one is right. The way they tell it is they were calling and the guy was answering back via a gobble call and kept getting closer. A little later on they see what looks like a turkey in the brush and shot. They claim the guy had a jake decoy on his back and thats what they shot at. They couldn't see him belly crawling in the underbrush. Again not sure what is true, but I do believe they ruled it an accident.

It's a good place though if you get back in there aways. We almost bought a farm right accross the road from it that had big deer so I got to believe they cross the gravel road into it. I have had gobblers answer me but never called one in though. I have only hunted it twice and in the evenings.

Public ground in Iowa is not over run with people during bow season. Shotgun seasons are a different story. If your bowhunting you will have no issues if you don't mind walking a little bit. Buy a deer cart!!

My sisters ex boyfriend got shot in the head turkey hunting there several years ago by some kids that were turkey hunting and shot at a noise in the brush.. I've never been there but live real close

My good friend shot the guy in the above mentioned post. Different story from what I hear though. Who knows which one is right. The way they tell it is they were calling and the guy was answering back via a gobble call and kept getting closer. A little later on they see what looks like a turkey in the brush and shot. They claim the guy had a jake decoy on his back and thats what they shot at. They couldn't see him belly crawling in the underbrush. Again not sure what is true, but I do believe they ruled it an accident.

awkward! :rolleyes:

It's a good place though if you get back in there aways. We almost bought a farm right accross the road from it that had big deer so I got to believe they cross the gravel road into it. I have had gobblers answer me but never called one in though. I have only hunted it twice and in the evenings.
you mean to tell us some guy is crawling through the woods with a jake decoy strapped to his back shaking a gobble call? Really?:confused:

That is what they claim. I wasn't there. I find it very hard to believe my buddy would have just shot not knowing his target but again I wasn't there. I have been hunting with him since grade school though and would hunt with him any day of the week. They claim it was broad daylight, they were getting gobble responses that kept getting closer. It was I believe 4th season and the vegetation was high. They claim about 50 yards out they see what looks like a turkey with a red head walking. The two guys were sitting side by side discussing whether or not they should shoot since it was about 50 yards. He thought he had a shot so he shot.

They both ran over there and noticed they had shot a guy with what they claim had a decoy strapped to his back. It was thick and couldn't actually see him. Bad day for both parties. Again, this is the story they tell me and it never changes over many beers.

This was also his first time turkey hunting so maybe that had something to do with. Both buddies though both thought it was a turkey as they were discussing the shot before hand. In my opinion they shouldn't have shot since it was brushy but he thought he could pull it off.

I don't believe the guy was just walking upright through the area and they shot him. A turkey standing would only come up to about the waist line. This guy was shot in the head / frontal area which to me says he was on the ground. I am just glad that he recovered from his injuries.

Air Assualt can tell the other side of the story.

Take a compass or GPS with you. It is so flat back there it is hard to find your way back sometimes. And hope its not flooded back there. I went in one morning and had to cross some ankle deep spots. By the time we left, it was waist deep.

Good hunting though, but the birds haveseen it all and seem pretty wary. They hang up a lot just out of range.

Just called my sister to help refresh my memory because I think this was back in 2000 or around there. She said he was just sitting against a tree making 'calls' back at other 'calls' and never knew anyone was there until he was shot in the face. Both sides of the story sound fishy to me. Anywho, He was air lifted I believe and had something like 13 BB's removed from his face. Luckily nothing penetrated his skull or punctured an eye. That being said, I don't really know who or what to believe and can't 100% say either side of the story is true. It would be easy for either side to construe the story in their favor... one persons word against another. Like Liv said, it was their first time turkey hunting and it was also my sisters ex boyfriends first year hunting.. Two very un-experienced parties on public land = bad things can happen.
I hunt a lot of public land in this area for turkey's and have literally had gobblers shot right from infront of me... even after the other party knew I was already sitting there because they walked in on my setup in the dark within 10 yards of me and I lit up my flashlight and told them someone was sitting here already. Apparently they just circled around and ended up sitting about 80 yards infront of me and I never knew they were there until they blasted the turkey that was strutting 60 yards infront of me... All sorts of idiots out there!

I hear yah there Air Assault, very unfortunate however I am just glad he is okay and I hope everyone learned a lesson. I know my buddy is scarred for life from it. He didn't touch a gun for a LONG time from the incident. Turkey hunting can definitely be scary on public ground or anywhere for that matter.

Be safe out there guys!!

I hunt a lot of public land in this area for turkey's and have literally had gobblers shot right from infront of me... even after the other party knew I was already sitting there because they walked in on my setup in the dark within 10 yards of me and I lit up my flashlight and told them someone was sitting here already. Apparently they just circled around and ended up sitting about 80 yards infront of me and I never knew they were there until they blasted the turkey that was strutting 60 yards infront of me... All sorts of idiots out there!
You can expect the same thing in northeastern Iowa! It doesn't matter if you're trout fishing or hunting. It's been 15 years or so since i've bowhunted public ground, but hunters would come within 50yds of your stand and climb a tree with a tree climber. It happened all the time. I've been shot at during squirrel season. I wouldn't set foot on public ground during any gun season. I still drive by public ground during bow season, and if they aren't bowhunting, there must be alot of fall trout fisherman.

Well I have enough groud in southern iowa to hunt but I'm moving from colorado back to the iowa city area in a month for work. Just wanted something close to bow hunt after work.

Well I have enough groud in southern iowa to hunt but I'm moving from colorado back to the iowa city area in a month for work. Just wanted something close to bow hunt after work.

Public ground around here has some great turks in it, just have to get past the people. I think using a bow, you would be severly limiting your chances with all the people swarming around. I definately wouldn't use any decoys. I've been really successful and have killed most of my turkeys on public, but, I use a shotgun and it's a little easier to move on a call-shy bird and adjust position. If you venture out there, I'm sure you'll see something though.

Werner I live about 2min from there plenty of game there. You will need a pair of hip waders most of the time to get back into the good spots. Or if you have a boat to boat in the back side would be the best way. The problem with that is the Cedar can get so low it becomes very hard.

It is a good place to hunt but could take a lot of work.

You might want to look into the Cedar bottoms hunting are. I don't think its listed on the Iowa DNR sight. It is connected to Pike run hunting area. It is fairly new and not listed so it doesn't get hunted as much. If you need directions I can give them to you.

Thanks for the info guys. I was wondering about bow hunting deer more than turkey. I will be headed to Clarke County turkey hunting on my farms.

Top Bottom