Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Remington 597

colorado

ArrowAddict
Thinking about gettin a 597. Just curious what everyone thinks about this gun. It's either 597 or ruger 10/22

I bought a 597 about 6 years ago and love it. Its not the prettiest rifle, but it is very accurate and reliable. The 10/22 is a great rifle and can be modified beyond belief, but everyone has a 10/22 and I try to avoid what everyone is doing if possible. That's just me. I'm sure you will hear others say "10/22" hands down and I won't disagree with that or dispute it. The 597 was cheaper, at the time I was on a budget, and mine is very accurate. Love it and you can't go wrong there, either.

Thinking about gettin a 597. Just curious what everyone thinks about this gun. It's either 597 or ruger 10/22

I have 597 LSS, I love it, and have had no problems with it whatsoever. I believe it to be as accurate or more so that a comparable 10/22. That said, the 10/22 has more upgrades available, accessories, and they are easier to find as well.

Buying a .597 was the worst decision I ever made.. jams almost every mag I put through it. It came with the plastic mags. I read that the problem was the mags and so I needed to buy the metal ones. Bought a couple metal ones and same thing. Its done this since it was new. Accurate as hell but I get tired of it jamming all of the time. One of my best friends wanted to buy one and i told him about mine. He ignored my advice and picked one up at scheels in coralville because it was a "good deal". First mag he put through it, jammed. He took it back a few days later. When he got to the store he told one of the employees he had a rifle he had bought and needed to return and they said " let me guess, a .597?" Really wish I had gotten a 10/22 and someday may trade it in for one.

Buying a .597 was the worst decision I ever made.. jams almost every mag I put through it. It came with the plastic mags. I read that the problem was the mags and so I needed to buy the metal ones. Bought a couple metal ones and same thing. Its done this since it was new. Accurate as hell but I get tired of it jamming all of the time. One of my best friends wanted to buy one and i told him about mine. He ignored my advice and picked one up at scheels in coralville because it was a "good deal". First mag he put through it, jammed. He took it back a few days later. When he got to the store he told one of the employees he had a rifle he had bought and needed to return and they said " let me guess, a .597?" Really wish I had gotten a 10/22 and someday may trade it in for one.

I have heard of people having that problem, can you contact Remington? Is it Jamming from the mag or is it an extractor issue?

I have owned my 10/22 for 10 years now. I have never had any issues with it! It has to be the most accurate .22 on the market. Only bought mine after my dad let me shoot his that he has owned since he was in his teens. They both shoot like a dream!

I have heard of people having that problem, can you contact Remington? Is it Jamming from the mag or is it an extractor issue?

Yep. I'd be contacting Remington. I've put all kinds of different ammo through mine (metal magazines) and never had a problem. I've even put the non-lead .22 LR through it (when work-related non-native species removal required non-lead ammo) and have never had a single jam.

I believe it is an extractor issue. The casing makes it about half way out before the bolt closes on it again. I never have tried actually contacting Remington.. Too lazy I guess :D.. There are soooo many reviews and whatnot about the same problem that I really doubt Remington would be able to give me a quick fix and being that I think I bought this thing the first year they came out, I probably wouldn't get a warranty on it.. Who knows, maybe I'll call them and see what they have to say. I've tried all different kinds of ammo, deep cleaned it, new mags. I usually just forget that I even have the rifle because I use my .17 HMR for small game.

I believe it is an extractor issue. The casing makes it about half way out before the bolt closes on it again. I never have tried actually contacting Remington.. Too lazy I guess :D.. There are soooo many reviews and whatnot about the same problem that I really doubt Remington would be able to give me a quick fix and being that I think I bought this thing the first year they came out, I probably wouldn't get a warranty on it.. Who knows, maybe I'll call them and see what they have to say. I've tried all different kinds of ammo, deep cleaned it, new mags. I usually just forget that I even have the rifle because I use my .17 HMR for small game.

I talked to my grandpa, call Remington, the should be able to fix it. However, you will have to ship your 597 to them, but I'm told it wills solve the problem.

I have had a 597 with the heavy barrel and laminated stock for over 10yrs and had problems with the clips and jamming as well. I have replaced the clips with the metal version and it didn't totally eliminate the jamming issue but it is very manageable now. As far as accuracy goes it shoots great. Would I buy another one, probably not.

The issue is the gun releases to much of the gas created when the cartridge goes off causing the bolt only to partially open. This has been an issue in these guns for years and was supposed to be fixed in the newer models. People are still reporting problems. I would go with the 10/22 or if you don't want to pay that much buy the tube fed marlin. I've rarely had a problem with either of those.

Top Bottom