Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Running deer vs. slug velocity

There has been a similar thread going on AT today, started by an Iowa resident titled "The Orange Army makes me sad". This is what I had to say on the subject.

This past weekend was the first time I had been out during Iowa shotgun season in a very long time. I went on one deer drive years ago and decided it was not for me. The only reason I was out this past weekend was to help my 11 yr old try to fill his youth tag. We were not even supposed to be there as the agreement we have with this farmer was we get it for bow and late muzzy but the shotgun seasons were his. However, after seeing what we did during bow season he decided he was not going to let his ground be driven and invited me to bring out my boy to sit in a blind. Listening to the drives going on on the surrounding property reminded me why I stay in town with my bow for these three weeks. As much as I don't like the fact that some hunters will not be able to control their blood lust and take low percentage shots at running deer and I despise the practice of sharing tags for party hunting I would stand up with my slug launching brothers in opposition to any attempts to do something as rash as outlaw deer drives. I picked up a bow because I think the regs give me an advantage over gun hunters, I have never even killed a deer with a gun. I get 2 months, including the rut, to get it done depending on which shotgun season you choose the most you get is 9 days.
The only reason Iowas shotgun seasons are were they are is because when Iowa first started their deer seasons we also had pheasants (remember those?) and hunters did not want to interrupt pheasant season with deer season. There are many more of them then us. Be careful about how critical you get of the way others hunt, especially when their group outnumbers yours. Party hunting and deer drives have deep roots in Iowa. Though I may not like how a lot of people do it I take solace in the fact that there will still be deer around come next October. On that note if your really worried about the future of Iowa's deer hunting your real concerns should be our DNR, the Governor and the fact that a lot of cover is being lost to high commodity prices. That should probably be in reverse order.

Excellent post! Could not agree more. I have been a shotgun hunter all my life. I hope they leave it alone. I did the group thing for almost 20 years and now treat it like bow season. We do some small drive/sneak hunts Monday and Tuesday of first season. There is two of us and we have alot of fun with it. Shotgun party hunting is probably the only thing that prevents the governor or his money source (FB) from opening gun season from September through January.

Im a shotgun hunter and absolutely hate party hunting! I used to do it and will never again. I hunted with a group that wouldn't track deer, left deer lay, shot baby bucks, but wouldn't shoot a doe, i could go on and on. the thing is alot of the groups do similar crap. I HATE THE ORANGE ARMY!

You boys got it all wrong. What you do is get in the pick up truck, match their speed out in the field, then start shooting at them. ;)

Liv4Rut said:
You boys got it all wrong. What you do is get in the pick up truck, match their speed out in the field, then start shooting at them. ;)

I usually just run up next to them, its ALOT easier than trying to lead them.

Been shotgun hunting for almost 30 years and bow hunting for almost 15. While both sides have their "ethical" arguments I think the bow v. group shotgun hunter thing is ridiculous and doesn't serve deer hunting in general. I find it interesting the post at walking up at wounded deer. Nobody likes to do it but its a part of any hunting. Many forms of hunting include the game not always been dead when found. Look at pheasent hunting. Dog brings the bird back alive so what do we do, grab the bird by the head and start swinging it around to break its neck. Look at what we do bow hunting when we think the shot was maybe a litte off. We back out for the day/night and let the deer "slowly" die. Before too many people point fingers at what they feel is unethical they should look in the mirror a bit because the argument could be made that ANY deer not killed quickly and cleanly is unethical no matter the reason.

Top Bottom